This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.078 / 54°4'40"N
Longitude: -0.7508 / 0°45'2"W
OS Eastings: 481829
OS Northings: 465392
OS Grid: SE818653
Mapcode National: GBR RP68.7X
Mapcode Global: WHFBP.FRQM
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 10 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149110
English Heritage Legacy ID: 328733
Location: Birdsall, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Birdsall
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: West Buckrose
Church of England Diocese: York
BIRDSALL THE PARK
SE 86 NW
3/30 Church of Saint Mary
Church. 1820's by Watson and Pritchett. Chancel and top stage of tower
1879-81 by Hodgson Fowler. For the Willoughby family, the Lords Middleton.
Limestone ashlar. West tower, 3-bay nave with boiler house to north, 2-bay
chancel with organ chamber to north. Gothic Revival. West tower: 3 stages,
with diagonal stepped buttresses. First stage: 2-light double-transomed
pointed window with blind panels holding shields to central section to west.
Semi-octagonal stair turret to north. Pointed doorway with crocketed hood-
mould and lead bas-relief of 2 figures flanking Middleton arms above to
south. Second stage: 2 moulded string courses, the second carrying lancet
window, to each face. Third stage: 3-light double transomed belfry openings
to each face. Openwork parapet with finials to octagonal angle turrets.
Nave: string course carries 3-light windows in Decorated style, with bays
divided by stepped buttresses surmounted by finials. Priests' door to
eastern bay on south side. Boiler house with pointed doorway to eastern bay
on north side. Chancel: 3-light Perpendicular windows to south with empty
tomb recess to eastern bay. Vestry to north: steps to pointed doorway with
square-headed 2-light window to right. East end: 5-light Perpendicular
window with door to crypt below flanked by empty tomb recesses. Interior: 2
black marble monuments on west wall to Henry Southeby, died 1662, and Anne
Southeby, died 1688. North wall: monument to Thomas Southeby, died 1729.
Memorial plaque flanked by termini and surmounted by pedestal and urn.
Signed by Rysbrack. South wall: monument to Sixth Lord Middleton by Sir
Richard Westmacott. White marble with figure of kneeling woman. Chancel:
C14 recumbent figure of a lady, with kneeling figure on either side, and the
soul, as a bird, ascending to heaven, above head. Pevsner N, Yorkshire,
York and the East Riding, 1972. York Georgian Society Annual Report 1975.
Listing NGR: SE8182965392
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings