History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sphinx and Pedestal on South Side of Waterfall at East End of Lake

A Grade II Listed Building in Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1184 / 54°7'6"N

Longitude: -1.5705 / 1°34'13"W

OS Eastings: 428173

OS Northings: 469256

OS Grid: SE281692

Mapcode National: GBR KNGT.SF

Mapcode Global: WHC7T.VRB3

Entry Name: Sphinx and Pedestal on South Side of Waterfall at East End of Lake

Listing Date: 6 March 1967

Last Amended: 11 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150604

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331060

Location: Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Ripon

Listing Text

SE 2869 LINDRICK WITH STUDLEY STUDLEY PARK
ROYAL AND FOUNTAINS
9/56 Sphinx and pedestal on
south side of waterfall
6.3.67 at east end of Lake (formerly
listed along with 9/55)

GV II

Sphinx and pedestal. c1727. Probably by John Simpson for John Aislabie.
Ashlar pedestal, limestone figure. Overall height approximately 1.5 metres.
Moulded profile to pedestal. The figure is strongly proportioned, the
weathered head draped with a light head-dress. Records of the Studley
Estate show that John Simpson was making pillars for sphinxes in 1727 but he
may not have been responsible for the statues. Sphinxes are known to have
been placed on the Cascade at the entrance to the Lake (qv) and they flanked
the Drum Falls on the Canal (qv), the latter are probably those removed from
the top of Mackershaw Gate (qv) in 1970 and now in store. G Beard, 'Studley
Royal', Country Life 1961. W T C Walker, personal communication. Sphinx
and pedestal. c1727. Probably by John Simpson for John Aislabie. Ashlar
pedestal, limestone figure. Overall height approximately 1.5 metres.
Moulded profile to pedestal. The figure is strongly proportioned, the
weathered head draped with a light head-dress. Records of the Studley
Estate show that John Simpson was making pillars for sphinxes in 1727 but he
may not have been responsible for the statues. Sphinxes are known to have
been placed on the Cascade at the entrance to the Lake (qv) and they flanked
the Drum Falls on the Canal (qv), the latter are probably those removed from
the top of Mackershaw Gate (qv) in 1970 and now in store. G Beard, 'Studley
Royal', Country Life 1961. W T C Walker, personal communication.


Listing NGR: SE2817369256

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.