This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5235 / 53°31'24"N
Longitude: -1.134 / 1°8'2"W
OS Eastings: 457509
OS Northings: 403330
OS Grid: SE575033
Mapcode National: GBR NWJP.8N
Mapcode Global: WHDD2.KP6P
Entry Name: National Westminster Bank
Listing Date: 1 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151421
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335036
Location: Doncaster, DN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Town
Built-Up Area: Doncaster
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Doncaster St George
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
TOWN OF DONCASTER HIGH STREET
SE 5703 SWSE 5703 SE (north side)
6/41 No 12, National Westminster
Bank. 1925 by Walter Brierley. Polished granite, ashlar and red brick with
graduated Westmorland slate roof. Tall single-storey with raised ceiling to central.
hall, 7 bays. Deep horizontally rusticated plinth of polished granite, about five
feet high. Above this, the five central bays are recessed and have engaged Ionic
columns between, end bays are less recessed and are flanked by Ionic pilasters.
Central columns stand on deep plinths, the tops of which are at the level of the
continuous sill band to the windows. End bays have tall polished granite doorcases
with double-leaf panelled doors in moulded architraves with guillouche design; keyed
friezes and cornices with Vitruvian scroll motifs on consoles hung with guttae,
above. Blocking course to top of each doorcase. Above, each end bay has a fixed
12-pane window in keyed, eared and shouldered architrave with cornice. Above again
is a raised corniced panel, on brackets with guttae, which is decorated with fruit;
and foliage swags. Both window and panel set in raised surround with triple key-
stone. Bays 3 and 5 are similarly treated with larger fixed pane windows in
architraves with swagged panels over, all set in raised tripled keyed surrounds.
Flanking bays have large semi-circular headed windows with glazing bars, in
pilastered surrounds with moulded arches with large stepped keystones decorated
crowned heads. Stepped panels to spandrels, and advanced aprons to base. Large
entablature above with dentilled and modillioned cornice. Decorative hopper heads
to either end dated '1925'. Balustraded parapets with piers between bays and to
ends. Central raised roof with stone coped gables. Interior has large central.
hall with side aisles, arcade of fluted Ionic columns and supporting central ceiling
and matching Ionic pilasters to aisle walls. Elaborate moulded and dentilled
entablature with coved ceiling over. Corniced and panelled aisle ceilings. Windows
have swagged panels over, similar to exterior.
Listing NGR: SE5750903330
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings