This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5538 / 53°33'13"N
Longitude: -1.0903 / 1°5'24"W
OS Eastings: 460366
OS Northings: 406739
OS Grid: SE603067
Mapcode National: GBR NWTB.RS
Mapcode Global: WHFF1.7X2Y
Entry Name: 3 and 4, Clay Lane West
Listing Date: 4 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151448
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335014
Location: Doncaster, DN2
Electoral Ward/Division: Wheatley Hills & Intake
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Doncaster
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Wheatley Hills with Intake
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25 July 2016.
SE 60 NW
TOWN OF DONCASTER
CLAY LANE WEST
Nos. 3 and 4
(Formerly listed as Nos.3 and 4 Clay Lane)
Pair of semi-detached houses. 1867, designed by J Butterfield, built for Doncaster
Corporation. Red brick with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Two storeys and two
bays each, with mirrored facades. No 3 to the right has slightly off-centre
chamfered 4-centred arch with 4-panelled door and pointed overlight deeply recessed
behind. To right is a narrow sash window with chamfered stone sill and lintel and
to left is a 3-light timber mullion window with 2-pane sashes in similar surround..
Similar 2-light window above in bargeboarded gable. Rest of first floor blind with
overhanging eaves. Large T-plan ridge stack to centre. Similar 2-light window
to first floor of right return. All windows below pointed brick relieving arches.
Rear elevation has gabled bay breaking forward to right with porch in the re-entrant
angle. This has brick 4-centred arches to both sides and panelled door below
pointed overlight behind. Windows similar to those to front. Interior is simple
with stick baluster staircase. No 4 identical, except mirrored. Built as a pair
with Nos 1 and 2. Listed for historic interest, as very early example of council
housing. Source; Council Minutes 12 May 1867. Empty and derelict at time of
resurvey. Refurbished early C21.
Listing NGR: SE6036606739
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings