History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cannon Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cawthorne, Barnsley

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.5709 / 53°34'15"N

Longitude: -1.5905 / 1°35'25"W

OS Eastings: 427217

OS Northings: 408332

OS Grid: SE272083

Mapcode National: GBR KWB4.GN

Mapcode Global: WHCBJ.JHVT

Entry Name: Cannon Hall

Listing Date: 25 February 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1151805

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334129

Location: Cawthorne, Barnsley, S75

County: Barnsley

Civil Parish: Cawthorne

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Cawthorne All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(North end, off

9/3 Cannon Hall


Large country house, now museum. Possibly late C17 in origin but heavily
remodelled 1764-8 when single storey side wings were added. The C18 work by
John Carr for John Spencer, the mason being John Marsden. The interior
alterations in 1778 by John Carr i.e. the hall and dining room were stuccoed
and the hall columns put in place. The side wings were heightened to two
storeys in 1804 again by John Carr. The ballroom (north east wing) was added
in 1890 to plans of Sir Walter Spencer Stanhope and the panelling and gallery
completed by 1896. Restored 1965. Coursed dress sandstone with ashlar
dressings. The symmetrical composition consists of a centre 3-storey block
of 5 bays and slightly set back 2-storey side wings of 3 bays. Rusticated
quoins. Sash windows in architrave surrounds, those to ground floor and 2nd
floor of central block having pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice. The
centre window has console brackets supporting the cornice and was once a
doorway. The ground floor windows of the centre block extend to the ground
and appear to have been altered and have sashes of 6 over 9 panes. Other
sashes are mainly 12-pane, those to the shorter 2nd storey are of 6 panes and
those to the first floor of the wings are of 3 over 6 panes. Moulded eaves
cornice with balustraded parapet. Low, simple ashlar stacks set well back.
The rear elevation is similar to the front but with a central, glazed Doric
portico. The north-east wing projects to the left and is of 4 bays. Side
elevations of the main house are of 3 bays.

Interior: The hall has Doric columns at rear with flanking pilasters. Good
dog-leg stair at the rear of hall typical of the "York School". Excellent
plaster ceiling in dining room of 1767, by James Henderson of York, has a
centre rose, sinuous flowing foliage and musical instruments. The fireplace,
of 1767, is of white and ochre marble with Ionic columns, full entablature
and a central relief carving. The left room has an elaborate fireplace of
1767 from York with a C17 Dutch picture in the overmantle entitled "Still
Life with Dead sane".

The house was owned by the Spencer and Spencer Stanhope families from the
late C17 and was purchased by the County Borough of Barnsley in 1951. It was
opened as a museum in 1957.

Barnsley MB Cannon Hall - official guide

Listing NGR: SE2721708332

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.