This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6842 / 52°41'3"N
Longitude: 1.6178 / 1°37'4"E
OS Eastings: 644619
OS Northings: 315759
OS Grid: TG446157
Mapcode National: GBR YPC.MTX
Mapcode Global: WHMTD.TSKK
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 25 September 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152526
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227709
Location: Rollesby, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR29
District: Great Yarmouth
Civil Parish: Rollesby
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Rollesby St George
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
ROLLESBY FLEGGBURGH ROAD
TG 41 NW
4/39 Church of St. George
Parish church. C12 base of west tower, early C14 upper stages of tower, nave,
aisles and, in the later C14, the chancel. North porch 1496. 1874 east window
unblocked, 1884 tower restored, 1885 major restoration : nave restored and
re-roofed, floors, seats, windows restored, chancel arch, pulpit and reading
desk. Cut flint with ashlar dressings. Black glazed pantiles to chancel,
red pantiles to nave, lead to aisles and porch. 3 stage tower. Lower stage
circular with a 2-light Perpendicular west window. Set-off to octagonal belfry
and ringing chamber stages, the latter lit through one cusped west light.
Louvred Y tracery belfry windows to alternate facets. Flushwork crenellated
parapet. Aisles supported by diagonal east and west buttresses and stepped
flanking buttresses. 3 cusped 2-light Y windows each side. South doorway
is cusped and sub-cusped after the pattern of Court Style funerary monuments.
Shallow gabled north porch 1496 with diagonal buttresses. 4-centred doorway
with continuous mouldings and one order of shafts. Above apex is a canopied
statuary niche. Ashlar kneelers to parapet. 2-light arched side windows.
South clerestory of 4 encircled quatrefoils. North clerestory of 4 2-light
late C14 lozenge windows. Chancel has diagonal flushwork east buttresses which
develop into panelled pinnacles and match similar pinnacles to the west of
the chancel. 2 3-light proto-Perpendicular windows to north and south
separated by a stepped buttress. The north side also has a priests' door.
3-light Perpendicular east window below a C19 cusped circle in a square
surround. Interior. South aisle is wider than the north. 4 bay arcade, the
first pier from the west being circular, the remainder octagonal. Moulded
capitals and bases. Double hollow chamfered arches. Wave moulded tower arch.
Chancel arch dies into walls. Renewed nave roof of principals and purlins.
Wall posts drop from wall plate. Octagonal font with 8 orbiting Purbeck marble
columns and C19 bowl. Chancel roof C19 : principals, purlins, tie beams and
collars. In south-east corner of chancel is a small room entered from north
and west through 4-centred arches. Its purpose is a mystery. Monument to
Rose Claxton 1601. Tomb chest with decorated top edge has suitably phrased
valediction to her set within it. Reclining effigy on tomb chest in
Elizabethan dress, of stone, once painted. She rests her head on right hand.
In wall above the momument is a further inscription panel giving her biography
and brief details of the mournful feelings occasioned in her friends upon her
death. Alabaster wall monument to Leonard Mapes 1619. Leonard Mapes and wife
are represented, in high relief, praying. Behind Leonard are several sons,
behind wife 2 daughters. This panel bordered bya pair of black marble
pilasters terminating in block entablatures. Predella panel depicts eldest
son praying on one side and daughter-in-law and one daughter praying on the
Listing NGR: TG4461915759
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings