This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6627 / 52°39'45"N
Longitude: 1.2971 / 1°17'49"E
OS Eastings: 623060
OS Northings: 312324
OS Grid: TG230123
Mapcode National: GBR W9J.X0
Mapcode Global: WHMTF.WBVJ
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 10 May 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152550
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228101
Location: Old Catton, Broadland, Norfolk, NR6
Civil Parish: Old Catton
Built-Up Area: Norwich
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Catton Old St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2312 OLD CATTON CHURCH STREET
Parish Church of
10/5/61 St Margaret.
Parish Church. C12 and later of flint with stone or brick quoins,
and lead and slate roofs. Tower, north transeptal aisles, south
porch, south aisle, north chapel east, and chancel. 2 stage round
tower of brick and knapped flint with single light west window,
sound hole and 2 light belfry openings with straight heads with
hood moulds, and tracery in brick. Octagonal top with brick dres-
sings, string course and battlemented top. Double gabled tran-
septal north aisles, c1852 with 2 and 3 light Perpendicular style
windows. Perpendicular west porch with stepped gable and 2 windows
to parvis with central cusped niche with hood mould. South aisle,
c1850, of 2½ bays with 3 light Perpendicular style windows, and
with circular window in east wall. 4 bay nave with 2 light clere-
storey windows with 4 centred arches with hood moulds. Rebuilt
chancel c1850 pebble dashed, 2 bays with 3 light Perpendicular
style windows flanking Norman style door. 3 light Perpendicular
style window to east with large trefoil window above. North chapel
with gabled north window flanked by swept buttresses with turret
finials. 2 light Decorated style east window. Interior mainly
C19. West gallery c1773. North transeptal arcade in Decorated
style. Mid C15 4 bay north arcade with piers with engaged shafts
to north and south. Late C15 arch braced roof. C15 chancel arch
with ½ shafts with moulded bases and battlemented caps. Vaulted
Perpendicular niche to south of chancel arch. Mid C14 arch to
north chapel. Arch braced chancel roof with battlemented moulded
wall plate. Rood screen dado. Fine pulpit, dated 1537 with linen-
fold panels separated by turned balusters. C18 and C19 monuments,
including one to Jeremiah Ives, died 1820 by Sir Richard Westmacott.
Standing monument with sarcophagus in front of obelisk flanked by
weeping putti. Walter P High. A Description of the Parish of Old
Listing NGR: TG2306012324
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings