This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6622 / 52°39'43"N
Longitude: 1.2984 / 1°17'54"E
OS Eastings: 623152
OS Northings: 312274
OS Grid: TG231122
Mapcode National: GBR W9R.CJ
Mapcode Global: WHMTF.XBGX
Entry Name: Including Garden Railings to South
Listing Date: 18 August 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390574
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490522
Location: Old Catton, Broadland, Norfolk, NR6
Civil Parish: Old Catton
Built-Up Area: Norwich
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Catton Old St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
86/0/10006 CHURCH STREET
18-AUG-03 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58
INCLUDING GARDEN RAILINGS TO SOUTH
Terrace of 6 houses. 1858 for John Henry Gurney, owner of the Catton Hall Estate. Red brick laid in Flemish bond; slate roof; brick ridge stacks.
PLAN: each house has a lobby-entrance with room either side.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 10-window range. South front is symmetrical and each house is a symmetrical 2-window range within that. Each with central timber doorcase under a flat hood containing a 4-panelled door. One 3-light mullioned casement to each floor right and left with splayed reveals and gauged skewback arches. Platband at first floor and a dentil eaves cornice. Hipped roof. 5 ridge stacks formed from 4 square flues, all with decorative bricks made by Guntons of Costessey. No. 52 with a rectangular plaque inscribed: J H G 1858.
Rear elevation with plank doors to each house and 2-light casements, all under segmental gauged arches.
INTERIOR: 4-panel internal doors. Ground-floor front rooms with timber fire surrounds and cast-iron inserts. Coving to ceilings. Winder staircases between front and rear ground-floor rooms. Kitchens to the rear, some retaining a water kettle and grate. Pantry opens off kitchen.
First-floor rooms with mid C19 cast-iron basket grates within plain timber fire surrounds.
RAILINGS: define the property boundaries and run along the street elevation. Cast and wrought iron. Circular verticals passing through plain top, bottom and centre rails, each section terminating in braced standards capped with fleur-de-lis finials. Gates with heavy circular standards and shallow baluster finials to which are hinged gates with circular verticals, plain rails and opposing scrolled braces.
This is an imposing terrace built in 1858 for the Catton Estate, reflecting a style and scale more usually associated with a town rather than a village. An unusual feature is the use of the lobby-entrance plan for each of the houses, which as far as is presently known is the only example in a terrace like this in Norfolk. The railings combine bought castings with estate-made work, probably done in the blacksmith's shop which stood behind the east end of the terrace. The terrace froms a group with Hall Farm Barn (q.v.) and the Village Hall (q.v.), opposite.
Manning, I.M., A History of Old Catton, Norwich, 1989.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings