This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6262 / 51°37'34"N
Longitude: -2.1507 / 2°9'2"W
OS Eastings: 389666
OS Northings: 191938
OS Grid: ST896919
Mapcode National: GBR 1P0.WMB
Mapcode Global: VH95K.NDW7
Entry Name: Estcourt Grange
Listing Date: 6 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154751
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128603
Location: Tetbury Upton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8
Civil Parish: Tetbury Upton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tetbury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 89 SE TETBURY UPTON -
5/328 Estcourt Grange
Large detached house. Late C16/early C17, with later wing to
north probably of late C17. Rubble stone faced in roughcast with
stone quoins, Cotswold stone-slate roof, multiple ashlar stacks,
some with paired flues and moulded caps. L-shape with cross gable
to left and older wing projecting forward to right, and 2-storey
square entrance porch in angle. Mostly 2 storeys and attic.
Right-hand wing has 3 gables with hexagonal finials, each with one
2-light cavetto moulded stone mullion window with square hoodmouLd.
1st floor has 3 windows, 3-light cavetto moulded stone mullion,
with continuous dripmould. Ground floor as first. Angle gable is
cut into by porch (added 1734) which has wide square arch with
moulded jambs and lintel. Lintel is very large and has square
hoodmould. C20 glazed inner doors. 2-light window above, also
cavetto moulded with square hoodmould, parapet wall to top of
porch. Left-hand gable on north range has one window on each
floor, 5/4/3-light going up with wide stone mullions with shallow
cavetto moulding, string course above ground and 1st floor. To
left of porch, one 3-light window on ground and 1st floors and
early C20 gabled dormer above. Small C19 wing to right return and
remains of medieval chapel probably of C14 with niches to far right
in restored single storey block. Very large external stack beyond
C19 wing on right hand return. This is the site of a Cistercian
Priory, established c1140.
Interior not inspected as not accessible at time of survey but
could be of interest. (David Verey, Buildings of England:
Gloucestershire - the Cotswolds, 1979; VCH, Gloucestershire, Vol.
Listing NGR: ST8966691938
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings