This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5936 / 50°35'36"N
Longitude: -4.4025 / 4°24'9"W
OS Eastings: 230049
OS Northings: 79848
OS Grid: SX300798
Mapcode National: GBR NJ.CWH6
Mapcode Global: FRA 17NH.QMT
Entry Name: Trekelland Bridge
Listing Date: 25 February 1991
Last Amended: 22 June 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155188
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68430
Location: Lewannick, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: South Petherwin
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: South Petherwin
Church of England Diocese: Truro
Road bridge over River Inny. Early C16, probably 1504. Granite ashlar with later stone rubble parapets and abutments. Two main arches span about 5.7 metres feet and a smaller 3 metres span flood arch at south west end. Approximately 3 metres wide carriageway. Two main arches have four centred recessed arch rings with chamfered inposts. The similar but smaller flood arch at south west end does not have a recessed arch ring. Hollow chamfered string course above the arches. The main pier has triangular cutwater on both up and downstream sides with refuges in parapets above. The parapets have been rebuilt in slate rubble but have reused chamfered granite coping.
The asset was previously listed twice also at List entry 1277714. That entry was removed from the List on 4 November 2016.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 8 November 2016.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
A late medieval bridge over the River Inney.
A road bridge of late C15 or early C16 date with later alterations.
MATERIALS: granite ashlar with later stone rubble parapets and abutments.
DESCRIPTION: the bridge is of two main arches and a smaller span flood arch at the south-west end. The arches are four-centred and in the Perpendicular style. The two main arches have a span of 5.8m each while the floodwater arch is 2.6m wide. Each arch has a single arch-ring with granite voussoirs. In the main arches these are slightly recessed below a hollow-chamfered granite string-course but in the floodwater arch they are flush with the bridge sides with no string course. A further and similar string-course highlights the line, called the impost, where each arch springs from the piers and abutments. Both piers have pointed cutwaters at each end. The arch vaults, piers, sides and abutments of the bridge are faced almost entirely by neatly dressed ashlar granite slabs. By contrast, the causeway sides are faced by local metamorphic stone, indicating a likely later date for the facing. Another granite string-course extends 20.75m from abutment to abutment, above the arches and across the piers but not carried onto the causeways. This string-course emphasises the divide between the mostly granite-faced bridge below and the parapets above which are of local stone, like the causeways, but with chamfered granite coping, parts of which retain their iron cramps.
The piers' cutwaters are triangular and carried up into the parapets as refuges on each side, and also of local stone but with granite quoins along part or all of each apex. The bridge's parapets above the string-course and carriageway level have undergone various episodes of post-medieval to modern rebuild using slate rubble and reused chamfered granite coping.
Trekelland Bridge is of late medieval date and may have been the unnamed bridge for which an Indulgence was granted by the Bishop of Exeter on 23 August 1504. It was described by the historian Charles Henderson as “one of the best preserved and most beautiful of Cornish bridges” (1928) and the only bridge in Cornwall to have true four-centred arches.
The bridge carries the road linking Launceston with Liskeard, formerly the principal route along the spine of Cornwall, and the main route to the south coast. In July 1847, Trekelland Bridge was the only bridge over the River Inny to escape a flash-flood without severe damage or destruction. It is shown on its current layout, with cutwaters, on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1906. By the C20 the road it carries had become part of the national road network and remains classified as the B3254. The bridge has been subject to localised repairs at various times and has a modern road surface.
Trekelland Bridge, of late medieval date with later alterations, is listed at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: it is a significant example of a medieval multi-span bridge of which less than 200 examples are now known to survive in England;
* Architectural interest: it is a well-preserved example of a medieval bridge, retaining its original form. It has very well-constructed arches to the spans and cutwaters. It is the only example in Cornwall to retain true four-centred arches;
* Degree of survival: despite later alterations and repair, it retains a significant proportion of its early fabric and medieval characteristics.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings