This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8942 / 51°53'39"N
Longitude: -1.9545 / 1°57'16"W
OS Eastings: 403230
OS Northings: 221743
OS Grid: SP032217
Mapcode National: GBR 3NT.BNW
Mapcode Global: VHB1S.2NM7
Entry Name: Sevenhampton Manor
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155613
English Heritage Legacy ID: 129195
Location: Sevenhampton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Sevenhampton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Sevenhampton with Charlton Abbots
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 02 SW SEVENHAMPTON UPPER SEVENHAMPTON
2/90 Sevenhampton Manor
Former manor house, now in two occupations. C17, C19 and C20.
Coursed squared and dressed limestone, stone slate roof, stone
stacks. C17 main body at southern end of range, possibly
originally 'H'-shaped in plan. C19 extension, built in two phases,
left, C20 extension left with gable projecting forward. C17 main
body; 2½ storeys, formerly with 4-windowed facade with twin
forward facing gables at each end (right-hand bay burnt out c1950).
All windows to ground and first floors of main body C19 three-light
stone-mullioned casements with transoms. Three-light stone-
mullioned casement with stopped hood lighting upper floor of left-
hand gable. C20 porch off-centre right with plank door with strap
hinges within 'Tudor'-arched surround with stopped hood.
Dripmoulds over ground and first floor windows. Right-hand wall of
burnt out bay; 3-windowed, all C19 three-light stone mullion
casements with transoms. Central 4-centred arched doorway with
moulded surround, bag stops and stopped hood. C19 extensions
stepped down slope left; 2 storeys. 3:1-windowed all 2, 3 and 4-
light casements one with king mullion. C20 door with early flat-
chamfered, 4-centred arched surround (reused). C20 Cotswold style
extension stepped down slope left; 2 storeys, 1,2 and 3-light
stone-mullioned casements, single-storey extension left.
Saddleback gable end coping and pointed finials. Gable end and
Interior of early core; C19, C17 style panelling in dining room,
incorporating some carved decorative panels illustrating a variety
of motifs; paired dragons, foliate 'S' scrolls, single plant and
4-lobed motifs. Some of decorative panelling C17. C19, C17 style
friezes on 3 sides of room. Fine C17 stone fireplace with moulded
'Tudor'-arched surround with jewelled stops and ornate cornice
shelf with stepped mouldings and pulvinated frieze. Jewelled stops
to tie beams. Early C19 open well staircase with open string and
column on vase balusters. Door frames with reeded architraves,
ornate early C19 cornices in hall and room left of hall. Small
fireback bricks dated 1560 with moulded motif of lion rampant
flanked by two fleur de lys and a 4-petalled flower removed from
back of fireplace in hall, suggesting that the present house may
incorporate part of an earlier one. House owned by Lawrence
family in C16 and C19.
Listing NGR: SP0323121741
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings