This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8941 / 51°53'38"N
Longitude: -1.9539 / 1°57'14"W
OS Eastings: 403267
OS Northings: 221732
OS Grid: SP032217
Mapcode National: GBR 3NT.BT9
Mapcode Global: VHB1S.2NWB
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 26 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341334
English Heritage Legacy ID: 129185
Location: Sevenhampton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Sevenhampton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Sevenhampton with Charlton Abbots
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 02 SW SEVENHAMPTON UPPER SEVENHAMPTON
2/83 Church of St. Andrew
Anglican parish church. C12. Early English, altered and enlarged
under the Will of John Camber, a wool merchant of Worcester - died
1497 - in Perpendicular style, restored 1891 by Waller. South and
east walls of chancel limestone rubble. North wall; coursed
squared and dressed limestone. Nave north wall; limestone rubble,
west end coursed squared limestone, south wall coursed squared and
dressed limestone. Stone slate roof. Nave with projecting south
porch, south transept abutting right wall of porch, porch;
crossing tower, north transept and chancel. South transept; 3
lancets in gable end. Perpendicular 2-light hollow-chamfered east
window with carved spandrels in east wall. Stone gutter along west
wall with gargoyle at gable end. Nave south wall (from left to
right); small round-headed window with moulded surround, carved
spandrels and stopped hood. Flat-chamfered round-headed priest's
doorway with C19-C20 plank door with strap hinges. Lancet with
stepped reveal right. Two-light Decorated window with stopped hood
towards east end. Perpendicular 3-light window with cinquefoil-
headed lights and 2 vesicas at east end. Positions of lancets and
Decorated windows repeated on north wall, suggesting the
lengthening of the chancel in C14. North transept; diagonal
buttresses, Perpendicular 2-light hollow-chamfered east window.
Perpendicular 2-light north window with cinquefoil-headed lights,
tracery and dagger at apex, stopped hood. Stones forming jambs
numbered in Roman numerals. North wall of nave (from left to
right); Cl9 two-light stone-mullioned window with cinquefoil-
headed lights within rectangular surround inserted in former north
doorway, copying similar window in south wall. Blocked trefoil-
headed window right. C12 pilaster buttresses at west end, central
buttress interrupted by hollow-moulded 2-light window with
cinquefoil-headed lights. Nave south wall, 2-light stone-mullioned
window with cinquefoil-headed lights and stopped hood. Tower; 3
stage. Perpendicular tower with octagonal stair turret at south-
east corner. Two-light windows on each side of second stage.
Similar belfry windows with stone louvres on each side of belfry
stage. Strings between stages. Battlemented parapet. Porch
dating from Perpendicular enlargement with tall 'Tudor'-arched
entrance with pierced quatrefoils in spandrels and hood with carved
rose stops. Stone bench seats within porch. Red tile floor. C19
plank door with flat stone lintel, band of C12 chevron decoration
above. Remains of stoup with ogee-arched head right of door.
Parapets with strings below to north and south transepts. Slightly
stepped gable end coping to chancel with ornate C19 cross finial.
Interior; Flat-chamfered pointed arches on each side of crossing.
South-west and north-west corners of tower supported inside within
crossing by flying buttresses from the west walls of the transepts.
Lierne vault with angel corbels at each corner and central circular
bell opening. 3½-bay, late C15 nave roof with 7-facetted trusses
and moulded tie beams. Three-bay chancel roof with arched-braced
trusses with over sanctuary and brattished wallplate. Remains of
stoup in south wall left of door. Narrow pointed doorway with
flat-chamfered surround from south transept to tower. Early
English arcade inside east window (see description of exterior).
Passage squint from south transept roofed with former mensa with 5
consecration crosses. Red tile floor sanctuary, some Decorative
encaustic tiling in crossing, chancel and to nave, sanctuary.
Fittings; octagonal limestone and marble font dated 1892 inside
south door with angels on four sides. C19 screen across west end
of nave. C17 font adjacent to south-west pier supporting tower.
C19 pews and wooden pulpit on stone base at north-east corner of
crossing. Monuments; chancel south wall; monument to John
Hinksman, died 1828. Marble white sarcophagus on grey background.
Brass to John Camber (see before), died 1497, set into later
limestone plaque below. Wooden memorial to Anna, wife of Ioannis
Avrigaris, inscription in gold lettering on black background within
moulded frame highlighted in gold. Stone monument below to
'Guilielm Candelary of Senhampton', died 1652, and Eleanor his
wife. North wall, (from left to right); shield-shaped brass
plaque with inscription in Latin to John and Robert Lawrence, died
1658, verse in English below. Painted stone monument to Joseph
Hinksman, died 1740, and other members of that family with
segmental-headed top with foliate decoration. White marble monument
to John Hinksman, died 1774, Margaret his wife, died 1819, and
other members of their family. Three brass plaques above (from
left to right) shield shaped plaque to Robert Lawrence, died 1688,
with inscription in verse below. Rectangular plaque at centre to
William Lawrence, son of Anthony Culpepper Lawn, died 1693.
Shield-shaped plaque to Robert Lawrence, Lord of Sevenhampton
Manor, died 1700. Monument to William Morris of Sevenhampton
Court, died 1834. Monument to Walter Lawrence, died 1810, late of
the manors of Sevenhampton and Brockhampton. South transept;
white on black marble monument to Rev. John Craven, died 1804.
Large grey marble monument to Sir William Dodwell of Sevenhampton,
died 1727, and his wives. (q.v. Brockhampton Park regarding
families recorded by monuments in chancel and north transept).
Nave north wall; grey marble monument to Thomas Longford, died
1770, with details of benefaction of bread on similar plaque below.
Royal coat of arms on south wall. Late C19 stained glass in east
window and in lancets in south wall. Early C20 stained glass in
east window of south transept and in north and east windows of
north transept. (David Verey, The Buildings of England: The
Listing NGR: SP0326521733
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings