History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Stores

A Grade II Listed Building in Coln St. Aldwyns, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7454 / 51°44'43"N

Longitude: -1.7908 / 1°47'26"W

OS Eastings: 414538

OS Northings: 205207

OS Grid: SP145052

Mapcode National: GBR 4S3.J1W

Mapcode Global: VHB2M.XD4B

Entry Name: The Stores

Listing Date: 5 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1156310

English Heritage Legacy ID: 127397

Location: Coln St. Aldwyns, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Coln St. Aldwyns

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Coln St Aldwyn St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Coln Saint Aldwyn

Listing Text

COLN ST ALDWYNS THE GREEN
SP 1405-1505
(west side)
12/149 The Stores
II
House and shop. Part mid-late C16; mostly rebuilt and enlarged
c1870 for Sir M.E. Hicks Beach. Random rubble limestone; ashlar
chimneys; stone slate roof. Two-storey; shop at east end.
Front: parapet gabled end facing The Green with gablets to
kneelers. Projecting late C19 shop front to ground floor with
hipped roof. Attached spear-topped iron railing enclosure.
Upper floor 3-light casement with round arched lights, bold hood
moulding and segmental relieving arch; carved Hicks Beach
monogram above, date now illegible. Gable-mounted chimney with
carved corbels to moulded cap. Sides: mixed 2 and 3-light
chamfered mullioned casement fenestration. Upper floor fixed-
light with Gothick glazing bars appears earlier than C19
enlargement, probably early C19 insertion in original building.
Some indications of blocked window openings on north side of
earliest part. West end: parapet gabled end with original C16 3-
light mullioned upper floor casement having 4-central arched
lights; some roughcast render.
Interior: no earlier features retained upon c1870 rebuilding.
Said to stand on site of church house. Building at west end could
be a fragment of this. Important position at centre of village.
(A.R.J. Jurica, 'Coln St Aldwyns' in V.C.H. Glos vii, 1981, pp.
44-55)


Listing NGR: SP1453805207

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.