This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8215 / 50°49'17"N
Longitude: -1.4506 / 1°27'2"W
OS Eastings: 438796
OS Northings: 102579
OS Grid: SU387025
Mapcode National: GBR 77G.D2C
Mapcode Global: FRA 76VX.NPL
Entry Name: Domus and Ruins of Lay Frater
Listing Date: 8 October 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156631
English Heritage Legacy ID: 143277
Location: Beaulieu, New Forest, Hampshire, SO42
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Beaulieu
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Beaulieu Blessed Virgin and Holy Child
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
BEAULIEU BEAULIEU MANOR ESTATE
17/16 Domus and ruins of lay
Domus and ruins of lay frater, now museum and restaurant. Late C13,
altered C17, C18 restored 1900-10 and c1970. Coursed rubble stone with
stone dressings, old plain tile roof. Long range on north-south axis,
north part complete Domus over cellarium and passage to cloister, middle
part was vaulted with now destroyed lay frater, south part is much altered
and of uncertain use. Main front, to west of domus part has,at north end,
C20 medieval style gabled porch with bell-cast roof and wide archway with
segmental arch. Along rest of ground floor rectangular lancets and near
south end 2 tall pointed lancets. Between window types is C13 pointed
doorway. On 1st floor central part has rectangular lancet, to north on
roof face large stack and C16 cross-window, to south similar window. Brick
stack at south end.Rectangular, louvred, hip-roofed vent. To north gable
wall. North end rebuilt C16 as it was originally against south aisle and
west face of church. Round-headed and square-headed archway, over 2 C16
cross-windows under labels. Inside part of ground floor has single
chamfered ribs on corbels. On 1st floor Queen-strut roof with large
tie-beams. Ruined part has remains of lancets on west, and C20 archway.
C20 toilet blocks have been built inside this part and south part. Remains
of vaults visible. South part has at end C13 3-order round-headed arch
reset here from St Leonard's Chapel (qv) in C20. VCH; Vol IV; 1911;
p652-4. Buildings of England, Hampshire; Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p94-6.
Listing NGR: SU3872802453
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings