This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8212 / 50°49'16"N
Longitude: -1.4501 / 1°27'0"W
OS Eastings: 438832
OS Northings: 102548
OS Grid: SU388025
Mapcode National: GBR 77G.D6V
Mapcode Global: FRA 76VX.NX9
Entry Name: Church of the Blessed Virgin and Child
Listing Date: 8 October 1959
Last Amended: 10 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156943
English Heritage Legacy ID: 143335
Location: Beaulieu, New Forest, Hampshire, SO42
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Beaulieu
Built-Up Area: Beaulieu
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Beaulieu Blessed Virgin and Holy Child
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
BEAULIEU PALACE LANE (off)
Church of the Blessed Virgin and
17/17 Child (formerly listed as Parish
8.10.59 Church (Blessed Virgin & Child)
Parish church, originally monastic frater. Early /mid C13, altered C15 and C16,
restored 1849 and 1900-10. Coursed Binstead stone, internally Caen stone
and Purbeck marble, old plain tile roof. On north-south axis, 4 wide bays.
At south end, in centre is huge full-height buttress, each side pointed
lancet (centre lancet behind buttress). Sloping-topped angle buttresses.
East side has 6 pointed lancets with continuous roll-moulding, but
boiler-house and chimney in north bay, buttresses between bays and C19
gabled porch to north of centre. West side has similar lancets, 2 near
south end, 2 to north of centre, between is staircase turret like a
buttress, 2-light window, and 3 smaller lancets. In front of one of these
and towards north 3 irregular C18 buttresses. Near north end C16 doorway
and remains of hatch from kitchen. North elevation, facing onto
cloisters, has 3-order finely moulded doorway, retaining medieval door with
original ironwork. Beside 2-light trefoiled window. 3 lancets over,
taller one in centre, with moulded sill string. Lancet high-set in gable.
On roof square-plan hip-roofed bellcote. Inside main feature is, on south
wall, the C13 reading pulpit on huge corbel bracket decorated with large
stiff-leaf splays. Actual pulpit C19 restoration. Behind is pointed
archway to room lit by 2-light window and vaulted. To south is doorway to
staircase in buttress/turret. To north staircase access with open arcade
to church of coupled Purbeck columns to moulded point arches, 4 arches and
2 higher-set to south. To north is pointed doorway with wall painting.
C15 arched brace roof with longitudinal ribs and bosses on junction. Rest
of the building has C16, C18 and C19 features. Circa 1900 reredos.
Monument 1651 to Mary Do, stone and marble, figure under open pediment on
Tuscan columns. Rest of monuments and furnishings C19. VCH; Vol.4; 1911;
p653. Buildings of England, Hampshire; Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p96.
Listing NGR: SP3883202548
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings