This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8203 / 50°49'12"N
Longitude: -1.4515 / 1°27'5"W
OS Eastings: 438730
OS Northings: 102446
OS Grid: SU387024
Mapcode National: GBR 77F.KTT
Mapcode Global: FRA 76VX.VQ3
Entry Name: Palace House
Listing Date: 8 October 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1094430
English Heritage Legacy ID: 143278
Location: Beaulieu, New Forest, Hampshire, SO42
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Beaulieu
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Beaulieu Blessed Virgin and Holy Child
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
BEAULIEU BEAULIEU MANOR ESTATE
17/18 Palace House
Medium-sized country house incorporating monastic gatehouse. Mid C14
gatehouse, converted to hunting lodge c1540 for Lord Wriothesley, extended
early C18 when moat and turreted wall built around site, restored and much
enlarged 1872 by A Blomfield. Coursed rubble stone, stone dressings, old
plain tile roof. Plan of large usual gatehouse of 2 storeys and attic, 2
span by 2 bays deep, set gables on with 1 x 1 bay part set back on one
side; Blomfield added to far corner of projection 4 storey stair tower (to
serve his main range), on other side single storey addition with projecting
porch over moat and behind projecting slightly lower wing, with C16 turret
on junction; behind gatehouse Blomfield built long double pile slightly
lower range with crosswings either end, built on side and end walls above
moat and incorporating turrets raised to 2 storey (this range projects 3
bays beyond stair tower against gatehouse). South elevation has gatehouse
part to LH and set-back to RH C19 main range. Gatehouse has, in centre,
stonework of 2 moulded order pointed archway, filled in with C19 hipped
stone-roofed oriel window with light either side, each light ogee trefoil
with transom. Each side tall sloping-topped buttress, and square-headed
window of 2-trefoiled-lights under one and 2 x ½ quatrefoils. Above
archway tall canopied niche between pointed 2-trefoiled light windows.
Over corbel table and 2 kneelered gables with 3-light mullion windows. On
roof ridges C19 square-shafted stacks with moulded heads. To LH of
gatehouse single storey part with 5-transomed-light mullioned window and
4-centred doorway and corbelled crenellated parapet. Inside gatehouse
front part was originally a porch to central carriageway and footway on its
LH, both arches visible in central wall of gatehouse proper, RH doorway
C16. Both parts vaulted with tierceron star vaults. RH part of porch was
room with C15 fireplace and square-headed 3-trefoiled light window and
pointed door. On 1st floor were 2 chapels with, originally 2 pointed
arches between, and piscinas and C14 east windows. VCH; Vol IV; 1911;
p652. Buildings of England, Hampshire, Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p96-7.
Country Life, 1906, p702-7.
Listing NGR: SP4095100000
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings