This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1132 / 52°6'47"N
Longitude: -2.8712 / 2°52'16"W
OS Eastings: 340434
OS Northings: 246450
OS Grid: SO404464
Mapcode National: GBR FC.94D5
Mapcode Global: VH77Y.54YW
Entry Name: Remains of Old Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 2 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157495
English Heritage Legacy ID: 149777
Location: Yazor, County of Herefordshire, HR4
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Yazor
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Mansel Lacy with Yazor
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
YAZOR CP -
SO 44 NW
4/96 Remains of Old Church
of St John the Baptist
Parish church, later Davenport family chapel, now dis-used. Probably C14 and
C15, mostly demolished c1843 to c1855 and partly restored c1858. Sandstone
rubble, sandstone dressings and ashlar. Tiled roof with gambrel to north.
C15 west tower linked by south nave arcade to c1300 south transept. Tower
overgrown by vegetation at time of re-survey (December 1986) is about 40
feet high. East elevation has central ground floor opening with four-centred
arch and double chamfers, possibly a C16 doorway within former tower arch.
North elevation of south nave arcade has three bays, the right one forming
open arch to south-east corner of tower. Arches are two-centred and double
chamfered with octagonal piers and moulded capitals, probably C15. The two
left-hand arches are filled with mid-C19 ashlar. Central bay has triangular
headed C19 doorway with two-leaved oak doors and strap hinges. Weathered
buttress to left-hand side. Gambrel roof. South transept has west elevation
with one double chamfered arch to left-hand side and a pair of trefoiled lights.
Central weathered buttress. South elevation has three stepped trefoiled lights.
To the right is a wall plaque for Ralph Tichborne Hinckes JPDL, only son of
Rev GH Davenport of Foxley, 1873 - 1944. East elevation has a pair of trefoiled
ogeed lights with a quatrefoil in the spandrel. Interior of south transept
has roof supported by mid-C19 scissor struts. North wall has one-and-half
bays of the nave arcade visible amid C19 red sandstone dressings with recessed
quatrefoil containing inscription:
IOHN: COLTMAN: DAVENPORT
ESQre; died 1858
On the east wall several similar quatrefoils with memorials for John Davenport,
Lord of the Manor of West Woodhall, Co Stafford, died 1862, and his widow
Charlotte, second daughter of George Coltman of Hagnaby Priory, Co Lincoln,
1805 - 1685. To either side of east window, a pair of large corbel heads,
probably C15. To left of window is a floor slab with two incised crosses in
circles, C13 or C14. Large bell with Lombardic letters "Ave Maria ...". Re-
set piscina in south wall has trefoiled head and no drain. C19 oak communion
table has three cinquefoil-headed open panels. Four contemporary benches,
two with desks having trefoiled openings. Simple seat and desk has trefoiled
and cinquefoiled openings. Late C19 mahogany harmonium by W Bell & Co of
Guelph, Canada, with the familiar patent mouse-proof pedals. (BoE, p 328;
RCHM, Vol III, p 218).
Listing NGR: SO4043446450
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings