This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1247 / 52°7'28"N
Longitude: -2.904 / 2°54'14"W
OS Eastings: 338205
OS Northings: 247756
OS Grid: SO382477
Mapcode National: GBR FB.889B
Mapcode Global: VH77Q.MV3M
Plus Code: 9C4V43FW+V9
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 2 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157795
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150452
Location: Norton Canon, Herefordshire, HR4
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Norton Canon
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Norton Canon
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
NORTON CANON CP -
SO 34 NE
4/83 Church of St Nicholas
Parish church. C13 and rebuilt 1706 or 1716 with later alterations.
Sandstone rubble, brick and sandstone dressings with stone slate and tile
roofs. Cruciform plan with three-bay nave, two-bay chancel, north-west
tower, north vestry and south porch. Tower is C13 with three diminishing
stages on moulded plinth. Beneath the top stage is a string course and
beneath the eaves a plain corbel table. Pyramidical roof with weathercock.
Weathered clasping buttresses to north-west and north-east corners. Each
side of the top stage has a pair of trefoil-headed openings. Central and
bottom stages have single trefoil-headed openings to resemble faces.
North elevation of nave has high stone plinth beneath brickwork and stone
quoins. Roof runs over vestry in catslide. East side of vestry has a pair
of east-facing trefoil-headed windows. A pair of similar but taller windows
light the nave between vestry and north transept beneath nave roof with verges
and eastern gable cross. North transept has raised brick gable with three
stepped lights in a two-centred arch. Chancel has a pair of 2-light windows
with plain Y-tracery to north and south sides. East window is similar to
window of north transept. Moulded plinth extends to west end of nave.
Chamfered two-centred priests' doorway to south side between the two windows.
south transept is similar to north transept. South elevation of nave has a
pair of 2-light trefoil-headed windows to either side of south porch. West
end of nave has three stepped trefoil-headed lights under a segmental head.
Beneath is the west door with a chamfered two-centred arch and label with C19
head stops. South porch has deep segmental arch beneath brick gable on which
is atone sundial inscribed "Mr J W 1763". On jamb of outer arch is plaque
inscibed "This Church/Rebuilt 1706". Within the porch is a scalloped Romanesque
capital adapted as a stoup. South doorway has round-headed chamfered arch and
C19 ledged oak door with enriched strap hinges. Interior has roofs with late
C19 cellar trusses supported from corbels. Above the collars are curved struts.
Chancel has C17 communion table with fluted stretchers and turned balusters.
Reredos comprising pieces of C17 panelling with rosettes and lozenges. Early
C18 communion rails with moulded rail and turned balusters. Three large C19
brass light fittings on chains. Chancel arch is C19 with two-centred head,
keel-moulding and three orders in dark brown. Water holding bases to shafts.
Nave: has late C19 part-octagonal pulpit with C17 guilloche designs and female
terms. Behind the pulpit is a large wooden Crucifixion, perhaps Flemish.
Triangular-headed doorway to vestry. Font, probably C13, has octagonal
bowL with chamfered undersides and cover dated 1894. Three tapered C13 coffin
lids with foliated designs on east wall. Grisaille glass of c1300 in south-
west window. South transept has late C19 harmonium with mahogany case and
exposed galvanised pipes. North transept has several early to mid-C19 wall
monuments to members of the Carless and Whitney families. (BoE, p 264;
RCHM, iol III, p 153/4).
Listing NGR: SO3820547756
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings