This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1741 / 53°10'26"N
Longitude: -1.641 / 1°38'27"W
OS Eastings: 424094
OS Northings: 364164
OS Grid: SK240641
Mapcode National: GBR 58D.5XL
Mapcode Global: WHCDF.RHS1
Entry Name: Stanton Hall
Listing Date: 12 July 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158182
English Heritage Legacy ID: 81057
Location: Stanton, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Stanton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Stanton-in-Peak Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 26 SW PARISH OF STANTON IN THE PEAK MAIN STREET
4/58 (South Side)
12.7.67 Stanton Hall
Minor country house. Early C18, possibly with C17 core, with large addition of 1799-
1800 by Lindley of Doncaster, minor alterations in C19 and C20, further addition to
east in c1920. Coursed squared gritstone and ashlar gritstone with gritstone
dressings, and quoins to C18 house. Graduated green slate roof with lead
flashings and stone ridge, side wall and gable end stacks. Plinth, moulded
stringcourse between first and attic floor and plain parapet to early C18
house and plinth, plain bands between storeys, moulded eaves cornice and
plain parapets with balustraded panels to 1800 house. Two and a half storey
early C18 house, the rest 2 storeys or single storey. Irregular plan comprising
7 bay, early C18 house, extended to north by single bay in similar style, with
large five by five bay 1800 house attached to south and gabled single bay
section, externally mid C19, attached to north beyond single bay addition, plus
single storey library addition of c1920 to east. West front has 1800 ashlar
house to south with three plain sashes and two glazing bar sashes all under flat
arches and full height, with five plain sashes above also under flat arches.
Recessed to north the early C18 house of coursed squared gritstone, which has
an early C20 porch addition to south with moulded doorcase and balustraded
parapets. To north two pairs of adjoining glazing bar sashes in raised surrounds,
probably early C19, with C18 rusticated doorcase beyond under new stone lintel.
Beyond again another C19 glazing bar sash in raised surround. Above seven tall,
early C18, glazing bar sashes, most of which have original thick glazing bars
and glass, in flush surrounds with raised fillet to edge. Above in attic storey
seven shallower glazing bar sashes in moulded surrounds, also mostly original.
Additional bay to north, beyond line of original quoins, has mid C19 basket arched
doorcase with latin inscription on lintel, C19 glazing bar sash over similar
to those to south and above again a copy of the attic sashes with chamfered
quoins to north side. Parapet over has balustraded panel and is apparently dated
1693. Beyond to north the gabled bay with a single glazing bar sash in flush
surround to ground floor, pair of adjoining glazing bar sashes above and a coved
cornice and arrow type cross window in gable.
Five bay south elevation of 1800 house has advanced central three bays and central
semi-circular Doric porch, with balcony over, covering double glazed doors. To
either side full height sashes under flat arches, the pair to east plain sashes,
and the pair to west glazing bar sashes. Similar, shallower, sashes over in
same arrangement. Over balcony, a canted bay window under segmental relieving
arch with stone fanlight-like decoration. Large pediment over advanced central
bays,with central bull's eye window.
Listing NGR: SK2409464164
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings