This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.735 / 54°44'5"N
Longitude: -1.5769 / 1°34'36"W
OS Eastings: 427341
OS Northings: 537857
OS Grid: NZ273378
Mapcode National: GBR KFFP.DF
Mapcode Global: WHC4X.R79Y
Entry Name: Croxdale Hall
Listing Date: 10 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159140
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109931
Location: Croxdale and Hett, County Durham, DH6
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Croxdale and Hett
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Croxdale
Church of England Diocese: Durham
CROXDALE AND HETT CROXDALE HALL
17/50 Croxdale Hall
10/5/67 (formerly listed
Country house. Probably C17; altered and re-faced c.1760, possibly by John
Carr for William Salvin with Rococo plasterwork attributed to Guiseppe Cortese;
early C19 alterations, including 1807 private R.C. chapel possibly by James
Wyatt. Squared sandstone with ashlar south front. Graduated green slate
roofs and old brick chimney stacks. U-plan. Classical style with Gothick
2-storey west front re-faced c.1760. 3 + 1 + 3 bays, the centre bay recessed.
Raised-and-chamfered quoins at left, band between storeys, eaves cornice and
low parapet. Double flight of steps to central replaced door in Roman Doric
surround. Venetian window above doorway; flanking 12-pane sashes in raised
surrounds. Low-pitched hipped roof with ridge stacks. 2-storey, early C19
south front: 5 bays with projecting, pedimented 3-bay centre. Sill bands,
eaves cornice and low parapet. Mainly replaced sashes in plain reveals:
tripartite sashes, with Venetian windows above in raised surrounds, in end
bays; 12-pane sashes on ground floor of 3-bay centre. Similar hipped roof.
North front has 3-storey, 5-bay centre flanked by late C18 2-storey, full-
height semicircular bows. Centre has 12- and 9-pane sashes in flush surrounds.
Bows have sill strings and Venetian windows on both floors. Rubble wall
built behind sashes when chapel inserted into east bow. Steep hipped roof.
2 sashes with radial heads, running through 2 storeys and lighting staircase
hall, on rear of west range. Large pointed windows on 3-bay east side and
one-bay south side of chapel.
Interior: Several ground-floor rooms with fine Rococo plasterwork, carved
chimney-pieces and panelled doors in architraves. Staircase, with ramped and
wreathed handrail on stick balusters, starts in one flight and branches into
two. Elaborate staircase hall ceiling with central goddess and cartouches in
Doric frieze. Drawing-room ceiling with central eagle. Library fitted with
mahogany bookcases in late C18. Dining room, in west bow of north range, has
severe late C18 decoration: panelling with fluted pilasters, Roman Doric
entablature with bucrania, enriched Venetian window surmounted by carved
wyverns and doorways with broken pediments. Gothick chapel: 3 bays divided
by thin clustered columns with tiny capitals carrying octapartite vaults with
flat bosses; sanctuary in bow with canted sides and canopied niches; gallery
at opposite end. Also several first-floor bedrooms with similar, though more
restrained, c.1760 plasterwork, chimney-pieces and panelled doors.
The Manor of Croxdale has been owned continuously by the Salvin family since
(C. Hussey, "Croxdale Hall - County Durham", Country Life, Volume LXXXVI,
Listing NGR: NZ2732837866
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings