This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5598 / 54°33'35"N
Longitude: -1.1459 / 1°8'45"W
OS Eastings: 455331
OS Northings: 518620
OS Grid: NZ553186
Mapcode National: GBR NHFQ.Q6
Mapcode Global: WHD71.CNL7
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 22 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159379
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60255
Location: Redcar and Cleveland, TS6
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Electoral Ward/Division: Teesville
Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Eston Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: York
ESTON HIGH STREET,
NZ 51 NE
7/126 (1/1) Christ Church
Church, 1883-84 by W.H. Blessley (Middlesbrough). Brick with sandstone
dressings. Welsh slate roofs. South-west tower over porch; clerestoried
nave with aisles; chancel with transepts and north-east vestry. Early
English style, with plate tracery in west window and chancel. Angle
buttresses, continuous chamfered plinth, and sill strings. 4-stage tower
has boarded south door, with scrolled iron strap hinges, in chamfered
surround with short nook shafts, under continuous hoodmould. Foundation
stone, dated 1883 in right buttress. Triple windows under hoodmould in 2nd
stage; narrow round-headed windows under relieving arches, in 3rd stage; and
4 grouped bell openings. Half-round stair tower at south-west angle.
Shallow pyramidal roof. 5-bay nave and aisles with paired windows under
continuous hoodmoulds. Buttresses between aisle bays; pilaster strips in
clerestoreys with brick corbelling at eaves. Tripartite west window above
grouped lancets; paired lancets in gable. Chamfered doorway in west end of
north aisle. South transept has tripartite south window above 5 lancets.
Lower chancel, canted at east end, has 5 windows under hoodmoulds; hipped
roof. Cross finials on nave and chancel. Lean-to vestry.
INTERIOR: 4-bay chamfered arcades with round shafts, octagonal bases and
roughly-hewn square capitals (intended for carving). Continuous hoodmoulds.
Similar chancel and trancept arches. Chancel windows have nook shafts.
Double-framed coupled-rafter nave roof, with arched braces above and below
turned collars with turned kingposts; ceiled above braces. Similar chancel
roof with arched braces and 2 levels of through purlins. Patterned
encaustic tiled floors. Stained glass: contemporary by E.R. Suffling
(London), depicting saints, in aisle windows; c.1905 by Powell and Sons
(Whitefriars) in chancel. Memorial altar, retable and chancel panelling
c.1911 to John Thompson, with blind traceried panels, foliate bosses and
enriched carved vine on mutins, and brattishing. Squared-headed niches,
holding figures of St. Cuthbert and St. Hilda, under crocketed canopies with
spires, at ends of retable. Panelled and carved choir benches, clergy
stalls, pulpit, transept screen, and screen altar and retable in south
chapel, 1942-50 by Thompson (Kilburn). Font of Caen stone and marble with
octagonal bowl on 5 short columns, common chamfered base and 2 steps.
Parish hall adjoining north transept is not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ5533118620
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings