This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2509 / 50°15'3"N
Longitude: -5.1366 / 5°8'11"W
OS Eastings: 176492
OS Northings: 43697
OS Grid: SW764436
Mapcode National: GBR Z8.N9VY
Mapcode Global: FRA 084C.DPC
Plus Code: 9C2P7V27+99
Entry Name: Billy Bray's Three Eye Chapel
Listing Date: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159452
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63374
Location: Kea, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Kea
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Highertown
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 74 SE KEA
1/87 Billy Bray's Three Eye Chapel
Bible Christian Chapel. First built circa 1835, rebuilt or remodelled circa mid C19
and again circa late C19. The 1835 chapel was built by Billy Bray, largely by his
own hands. Cement rendered rubble with rusticated quoins granite sills and
polychrome brick porch, flipped asbestos slate roofs.
Rectangular aisleless plan with entrance to west and rostrum to east.
Single storey. Symmetrical 3-window north and south walls, each with horned 12-pane
sashes. West entrance front has late C19 gable-ended banded-brick porch with brick
acroteria to gable. Central doorway with shallow brick arch and 4-panel door.
Round-arched windows to sides of porch with marginal panes.
Interior has mostly circa late C19 fittings including bowed rostrum with turned
balustrade and integral projecting pulpit carried on octagonal columns. Winder
stairs to left and right with stick balusters. Ornate cast iron panels to communion
rail. Particularly interesting is a wooden chair with seat inscribed 'BRILLY BRAY
BALDHU 1839'. Some of the pews are earlier benches with shaped ends added.
Billy Bray was a greatly loved and respected local preacher, who, whilst working in
the mines and caring for his family had several chapels built to a great extent by
his own hands.
'Our little chapel had three windows, one on one side and two on the other: the old
devil, who does not like chapels, put his servants by way of reproach to call our
chapel 'THREE EYES'. But, blessed be God, since then, the chapel has become too
small for the place, and it has been enlarged; now there are six windows instead of
three; and they may call the chapel SIX EYES now if they will'.
Quoted from BILLY BRAY by F.W. Bourne. LONDON May 1890.
This book is a great source of further information about the preacher and includes an
amusing story of how Billy Bray acquired a 3 cornered cupboard to use as a pulpit for
Further source - NONCONFORMIST CHAPELS by Christopher Stell.
Listing NGR: SW7649243697
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings