This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1074 / 50°6'26"N
Longitude: -5.1452 / 5°8'42"W
OS Eastings: 175201
OS Northings: 27776
OS Grid: SW752277
Mapcode National: GBR Z8.Y7LG
Mapcode Global: FRA 083Q.P9N
Entry Name: Chestnut Cottage
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159496
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66090
Location: Constantine, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Constantine
Built-Up Area: Porth Navas
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Constantine
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 72 NE CONSTANTINE PORTH NAVAS
9/106 Nos 1 and 2, Chestnut Cottage
Pair of cottages and shop. Circa late C18 extended in circa early-mid C19 and with
circa early C20 shop added. Local shale rubble with granite dressings ; the first
floor of the rear wing is plastered cob ; whitewashed side walls and rear wing ; the
rear wall and the first floor of the front is hung with scantle slates. Grouted
scantle slate hipped roof with red clay ridge tiles and deep eaves; gable ended rear
wing with scantle slate roof. Rendered brick shafts to side stacks and gable end
stack of rear wing.
Plan: Overall L-shape plan. The early to mid C19 range (No. 2) has a double depth
plan with 2 small principal front rooms on either side of a central entrance passage
with a straight stair at the back. At the back there are shallow service rooms. The
left-hand back room is actually one of the 2 rooms of an earlier (circa late C18) 2-
room plan cottage which has been incorporated into the early to mid C19 house as a
rear wing. The rear wing (No. 1) is now a separate cottage and may have always been
so. In circa early C20 a small lean-to shop was built on the right-hand side of the
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3 window south east front ; the first floor is
slate hung and has diamond-shape panels between the windows with fishscale pattern
slate hanging. Early to mid C19 16-pane sashes with slate cills. Central doorway,
probably the C19 panelled door but boarded over, the top panels glazed.
The rear wing is entirely slate hung and has one small early to mid C19 16-pane sash
as each floor to the right and a larger early mid C19 16-pane sash in the splay in
the angle to the left over the C19 glazed and panelled back door. To the left the
inner face of the rear wing has a small circa early to mid C19 ground floor and later
C19 first floor 16-pane sash, the one on the ground floor has a dressed granite
lintel and jambs ; to the right a recessed C19 plank door also under the first floor
splay in the angle with the main range.
Including the circa early C20 lean-to shop front on the right-hand side of the main
range. It has an original 8-pane shop window on the front with a plank door to the
left with louvres above and weatherboarded in the gable.
Interior: An early to mid C19 straight staircase with a turned newel and moulded
handrail. C20 chimneypieces.
Listing NGR: SW7520127776
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings