This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1185 / 50°7'6"N
Longitude: -5.1768 / 5°10'36"W
OS Eastings: 172994
OS Northings: 29105
OS Grid: SW729291
Mapcode National: GBR Z6.8R83
Mapcode Global: FRA 081P.WJ0
Entry Name: The Church Hall (Former School)
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159561
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66096
Location: Constantine, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Constantine
Built-Up Area: Constantine
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Constantine
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 72 NW CONSTANTINE VICARAGE TERRACE, Constantine
8/113 The Church Hall (former school)
School, originally a National School, now the church hall. Dated 1864. Granite
rubble with granite dressings. Asbestos slate roof with gabled ends and deep eaves
with granite corbel brackets. Small granite ashlar stacks at gable ends with
Plan: Rectangular on plan. A large hall open to the roof with an entrance porch to
the left of centre. The left end of the hall has a sliding partition but this may be
a later alteration. At the right hand end there is a separate single storey section
with a lower roof and a doorway at the front ; this is said to have been formerly
used as a kitchen but was probably, originally the school mistress's room. The roof
of the main hall is now ceiled.
Exterior: One storey, plus an attic at the left-hand (east) end. Asymmetrical 5-bay
front, the right-hand is under a lower roof. To the left of centre a large gabled
proch with ornate bargeboards a 2-light window with cusped headed lights and a Latin
cross above dated 1864 and a doorway at the side with a 4-centred arch frame with
spandrels and a boarded door. There is a similar doorway at the right-hand end of
the front. The other windows are 4-light mullion transom windows, all in chamfered
granite openings with hoodmoulds. To the right of centre a lateral stack with a tall
red brick shaft which rises from the roof.
Rear elevation has 3 4-light wooden mullion transom windows and one similar 3-light
window which is in a gabled projection to right of centre. To the left of centre a
C20 wooden lean-to with a corrugated iron roof.
Interior: The roof structure of the main hall is now ceiled.
Built as a National School for 120 children.
Source: Kellys Directory, 1883.
Listing NGR: SW7299029105
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings