This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.572 / 51°34'19"N
Longitude: -0.7773 / 0°46'38"W
OS Eastings: 484837
OS Northings: 186614
OS Grid: SU848866
Mapcode National: GBR D5W.G9W
Mapcode Global: VHDWB.GRY7
Entry Name: Crown Hotel
Listing Date: 16 July 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159570
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46235
Location: Marlow, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, SL7
Civil Parish: Marlow
Built-Up Area: Marlow
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Great Marlow with Marlow Bottom, Little Marlow and Bisham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1. MARKET SQUARE
SU 8486 1/34 16.7.49.
Formerly the Old Town Hall. 1807. Architect Samuel Wyatt. 2 storeys.
Coarse stone on projecting plinth, with dressed stone Ist floor string
supporting double angle and single intermediate Doric pilasters and
entablature with blocking course. Slate roof. 3 bay front, colour-washed,
with tall lst floor windows and segmental arched openings on ground floor,
filled in with later windows and door. Small service door to left hand.
Clock tower in centre, over-blocking course, rectangular with 4 panelled
pilasters and small cornice, and surmounted with arched and domed bell
turret, crowned with bird weather-cock. The clock is of Cl7 date and came
from the Old Market House which stood in the road where the Obelisk now is
(qv). Some original interior decoration.
The Crown Hotel, Nos 4 form an important group at the north-west
end of High Street.
Listing NGR: SU8483786614
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings