This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.521 / 54°31'15"N
Longitude: -1.0808 / 1°4'51"W
OS Eastings: 459593
OS Northings: 514355
OS Grid: NZ595143
Mapcode National: GBR NJW5.S4
Mapcode Global: WHF8D.CMKH
Entry Name: Stables, Cart Shed, Granary, Barn and Loose Boxes, to East of Home Farmhouse
Listing Date: 25 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159574
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59959
Location: Guisborough, Redcar and Cleveland, TS14
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Guisborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Guisborough St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: York
318/4/93 HUTTON LOWCROSS
25-APR-84 Stables, cart shed, granary, barn and
loose boxes, to east of Home Farmhouse
Cart shed of three bays dated 1826 on keystone of centre arch. Complex of farm buildings to an 'E' plan. Other buildings are mainly of similar or slightly later date, rear portion of stem of 'E' later (1880's). Earlier stonework incorporated in the W. wall of the stable building adjacent to Home Farmhouse, where there are 3 sculptured stones from a medieval building: probably ecclesiastical and possibly the Hospital of St. Leonard or a Cisterian nunnery, both established at Hutton in C.12. One stone is the head of an ogee arch (possibly from a stoup or piscina). Dressed sandstone to front and sides (1826-1874); brick to rear (c.1880); clay pantile hipped and gabled roofs with stone ridge copings. Western and central branches single storey, eastern branch two storey, northern building single storey later raised to rear to two storeys. Rear, brick building partially supporterd on cast iron pillars.
Interior retains important machinery including a turbine of 1881 made by the Williamson Brothers of the Canal Iron Works in Kendal in the north west corner of the range and a hydraulic hoist installed in the two-storey cart shed. The turbine was designed to run farm machinery via a belt running on pulleys mounted outside the end wall of the granary. The barn machinery was specified as a grist mill, oil cake mill and chaff cutter inside the main building and a bone mill behind the turbine shed. The Williamsons, who built vortex turbines, were early in the history of water turbines and surviving Williamson turbines are quite rare. This turbine was among the last to be built. The hydraulic hoist is a double acting hydraulic cylinder made up of two cast iron pipes joined endwise containing a piston. It was used for lifting heavy weights (usually 2 cwt grain sacks) on to the first floor of the cart shed. It was probably built by W G Armstrong at the Elswick Works at Newcastle-upon-Tyne circa 1871.
A further surviving piece of machinery of similar date, in the centre of the northern building, is a straw riddle and dust extractor, originally also run by the turbine.
There is evidence for historical links with the Pease family, who owned Home Farm among other farms in Hutton in the mid-late 19th century, and was responsible for the emparkment of land between Hutton Hall and Home Farm.
(B.J.D. Harrison & G. Dixon (Eds) 'Guisborough before 1900', pp.
18 and 65.
J K Harrison in "Cleveland Industrial Archaeologist no 25." (1998) pp29-42, and National Monument Record ref: F/53/93/8).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings