This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4074 / 53°24'26"N
Longitude: -2.5565 / 2°33'23"W
OS Eastings: 363103
OS Northings: 390210
OS Grid: SJ631902
Mapcode National: GBR BYL1.B8
Mapcode Global: WH98K.PMT5
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 9 August 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159696
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58907
Location: Poulton-with-Fearnhead, Warrington, WA2
Civil Parish: Poulton-with-Fearnhead
Built-Up Area: Warrington
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Padgate
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ 69 SW POULTON-WITH-FEARNHEAD STAION ROAD
3/29 Christ Church
Parish Church 1838, with chancel 1882 by W Owen. Red brick nave in
Flemish Bond, brown brick chancel in English Bond all with slate
roofs. 5 bay nave in lancet style with narrower less lofty chancel
flanked on south by the vestry and on north by the organ chamber.
Gothic arched gable entrances to nave flanked by treble shafts with
rings and surmounted by a-steeply angled triangular panel enclosing a
small lancet sinking. Buttresses surmounted by pilasters with
sinkings and steeply weathered caps flank the opening. Lancet windows
to nave have stone sills and heads, sill band, which was formerly
moulded and string course which rises up over window heads. Leaded
light glazing with stained glass in nave and chancel gables.
Bracketted eaves cornice with lead gutter, gable copings and
bell--cote with mouldings to sill and head rising above apex. Lead
ridge to nave, tile ridge to chancel.
Interior: Altar brought forward and whole of chancel now used for
choir. Small marble reredos with inset panels and 4 gold angels
remains. Chancel has 2 hammer beam trusses with collars, short king
posts, shallow curved beams and trefoil infilling, exposed purlins and
rafters and boarded soffite. Nave has kingpost trusses with curved
braces below tie beams, gothic arcade infilling, exposed purlins and
plastered soffite. Brass monuments to former Vicar and Church Warden.
Listing NGR: SJ6310390210
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings