This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1842 / 50°11'3"N
Longitude: -5.42 / 5°25'12"W
OS Eastings: 155950
OS Northings: 37175
OS Grid: SW559371
Mapcode National: GBR FX06.04B
Mapcode Global: VH12N.0MHN
Entry Name: Pratt's Hayle Market
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159865
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70167
Location: Hayle, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: Hayle
Built-Up Area: Hayle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Hayle
Church of England Diocese: Truro
HAYLE CHAPEL TERRACE, Hayle
10/73 No 12 (Pratt's Hayle Market)
- (formerly Foundry Chapel)
Former methodist chapel and schoolroom, now used as a market. Date plaque 1845.
Stucco front, otherwise rubble with granite dressings. Scantle slate roof behind
stuccoed parapet with pediment at the front.
Plan: Rectangular aisle-less plan with gallery on 4-sides large entrance porch at the
front and large former schoolroom at the rear. Classical style.
Exterior: 2 storey elevations. 1:3:1 bay west front has first floor (gallery)
windows to the 3 wider middle bays. Round-headed openings. Ground floor has 1:3:1
bay entrance porch with stucco rustications. The middle bays are broken forward and
flanked by panelled pilasters 3 doorways between with blind central doorway. The
right and left hand bays are quadrant on plan and each have a window. Moulded
parapet cornice and plain parapet. The first floor bays are divided by Tuscan
pilasters over a moulded sill string ; entablature above has moulded architrave,
plain frieze and modillioned parapet cornice with pediment over the middle bays and a
central round date plaque. Side walls have 4 square-headed openings to the ground
floor of each side and round-headed openings to the first floor (gallery).
Entablature and parapets over.
Interior: some additions for use as an indoor market but the original architectural
detail is intact including : panelled gallery, with Corinthian pilasters at the east
end and plastered ceiling with moulded bands.
Listing NGR: SW5595037175
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings