This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2293 / 50°13'45"N
Longitude: -5.1834 / 5°11'0"W
OS Eastings: 173052
OS Northings: 41439
OS Grid: SW730414
Mapcode National: GBR Z6.1PJX
Mapcode Global: FRA 081F.0H8
Entry Name: Carharrack Methodist Church
Listing Date: 12 September 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160248
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66662
Location: Carharrack, Cornwall, TR16
Civil Parish: Carharrack
Built-Up Area: Carharrack
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Day
Church of England Diocese: Truro
CARHARRACK CHURCH STREET
SW 74 SW
(west side, off)
6/114 Carharrack Methodist Church
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, now Methodist Church. Dated 1815 in gable; altered
in later C19 and early C20. Uncoursed killas rubble with granite dressings, the
front rendered and the sides and rear cement-washed. Rectangular plan with
shallow apse to rear. Two storeys, 2x5 bays; the symmetrical pedimented facade
has a plinth, cornice, and large raised corner pilasters with sunk round-headed
panels and coped upstands above the cornice; a wide central doorway with
Tuscan pilasters, plain frieze and cornice; 2 windows at 1st floor with raised sills
and floating cornices on fluted consoles, formerly sashed but now of 2 round-
headed lights with stained glass; and a plain roundel in the pediment containing
the raised date "1815". Both side walls have square-headed windows like those at
the front (added wing attached to 5th bay of right-hand side, not of special
interest). The apse at the rear has rounded corners and 2 tall round-headed
windows with intersecting glazing bars. Interior: horse-shoe gallery with panelled
front, supported on wooden Tuscan columns, and completely furnished with 3
tiers of original box pews which have ramped sides and doors with H-hinges, and
6 turned lamp-standards with oil-lamps; former "City Road" arrangement of
communion rail behind pulpit reversed, but fragments of the original remain
behind the inserted rostrum, and the windows of the apse have cornices with
fluted consoles (now concealed from the body of the church by the organ).
History: replaced octagon chapel built in 1770; modelled on Wesley's City Road
chapel, like Camborne Centenary Chapel, Wesley Street, Camborne (q.v.).
Reference: J.C.C.Probert The Architecture of Cornish Methodism (1966); Thomas
Shaw A History of Cornish Methodism (1967).
Listing NGR: SW7305241439
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings