This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2021 / 50°12'7"N
Longitude: -5.0987 / 5°5'55"W
OS Eastings: 178967
OS Northings: 38159
OS Grid: SW789381
Mapcode National: GBR ZC.D7V9
Mapcode Global: FRA 086H.9FV
Entry Name: Remains of Carclew House
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160291
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63464
Location: Mylor, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Mylor
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Mylor
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 NE MYLOR
3/183 Remains of Carclew House
Ruin of country house. Begun by Samuel Kemp circa 1720s but extended and completed
circa 1750's for William Lemon, probably by Thomas Edwards, and extended in the later
C18 and early C19. Gutted by fire in 1934. Granite ashlar, except stuccoed rubble
to later C18 and early C19 parts.
Plan of large originally central block of 3-rooms wide of central hall with flanking
reception rooms, stair hall behind hall and service rooms to either side to rear.
Flanking single storey over basement link buildings to originally identical
pavilions. Later extended to left (west) by double depth range with front reception
rooms and rear service rooms and long axial passage between. C18 parts terminating
to left (west) with square clock tower but extended further to left (west) and to
rear in the C19. Palladian style with original central 1750's part in the Ionic
order. The building has extensive remains, in many parts to full wall height of 2
storeys over basement, and complete with cornice. The part to the east suffered most
damage and to the right of the Ionic portico is reduced to basement level for the
greater part. South front was originally symmetrical with recessed 3-window front
behind tetrastyle Ionic portico with engaged terminal columns between identical
rusticated ashlar 2-window bays with moulded strings below flat arch level and
moulded cornice to parapet. To the left and right were single storey 5-window fronts
of wings with Tuscan colonnades surmounted by entablatures and cornices. In front of
the whole of this central section was a granite balustrade, in front of the portico,
with flanking stairs; to left and right of the stairs, and between the column bases
of the colonnades. To the far left and right were pedimented single storey over
basement pavilions each with a central Venetian window. The central portico and much
to the left survives, but to the right the walling has mostly fallen. Both the
colonnades have gone and the balustrades are removed. However, much of the original
stone is lying around the site including moulded cornices to front and to rear. The
later C18 part to the left has a fairly intact single storey over basement 3-window
front and 4-stage clock tower to left. The stucco is crumbling but the granite
dressings of string, sill consoles, moulded sills, jambstones arch stones and
cornices are complete. The front has plain openings to the basement but Venetian
windows to first floor, left and right, and central single-light opening with moulded
The clocktower, with splayed corners, has round-arched opening to basement, tall
narrow opening to first floor, continuation of parapet cornice as string, round clock
face openings to front and left (west) with moulded string as hood, over, and
bellcote with round-arched openings and moulded impost string and cornice.
Interior is very overgrown and access is dangerous but much internal walling
survives and even window shutters and panelled reveals in places. There is a granite
stair with iron balustraded columns to one side of the axial passage.
This house at Carclew replaced an earlier one surviving until the C18. Called
Cargelew-Dangarus in Henry II's reign, and, was owned by descendants of the Daungers
as heiresses who married the Renaudins and Bonythons at the beginning of the C15.
The Renaudins soon died out, but the Bonythons continued until 1697, when Richard,
the last male heir of the elder branch, died, leaving an only daughter, Jane, who
married Samuel Kemp.
Extracted from part of Lawrence Weaver's description in The Country Life of May 13th,
1916, and repeated in a Country Life article of April 14th, 1934.
Information about Thomas Edwards the assumed architect of the main phase of Carclew
House can be referred to in an article by H. Dalton Clifford and Howard Colvin also
in The Country Life (Vols 113 and 132, 1962).
Carclew is now a magnificent romantic ruin, overgrown and neglected. Built in a
commanding position overlooking Restronguet Creek and Carrick Roads beyond, and
formerly one of Cornwalls very best C18 country houses. Photographs survive of the
house before the fire, both in the Country Life articles and with the NMR.
Listing NGR: SW7896738159
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings