This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.185 / 50°11'6"N
Longitude: -5.0763 / 5°4'34"W
OS Eastings: 180487
OS Northings: 36194
OS Grid: SW804361
Mapcode National: GBR ZD.RFRG
Mapcode Global: FRA 088J.L5W
Entry Name: Old School House, Nos 39, 40 and Church Hall
Listing Date: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160414
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63492
Location: Mylor, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Mylor
Built-Up Area: Mylor Bridge
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Mylor
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 83 NW MYLOR LEMON HILL, Mylor Bridge
4/214 Old School House, Nos 39, 40 and
School house in terrace with 2 other houses circa mid C19 and adjoining school hall,
originally early C19, converted to a parish workhouse circa 1842, bought by Sir
Charles Lemon circa 1840's and converted by him circa 1850 to National School. 2 new
classrooms added in 1895 and remodelled circa early C20. Shale rubble with slate
sills, shallow brick arches and asbestos and scantle slate roofs, mostly with gable
ends but building to rear right (south) has hipped roof. 2 brick chimneys over ridge
Plan of overall L-shape plus projection to rear right (south). Originally a
rectangular building in 1830 of 23x36 feet, extended probably at either end by 1 room
circa 1850 with 2-storey building partly projecting at right angles to rear right
(south) of rear (east) end and schoolmasters house and 2 adjoining houses added at
right angles to left (north) of front (west) end. Original workhouse part of school
was adapted circa 1895 to provide 2 classrooms for girls on the first floor and this
part was later reduced in the C20 to a single storey building. School house, Nos 39
and 40 each have front reception room with passage to one side leading to rear
2 storeys except for original part which is now single storey. Windows are mostly
original hornless sashes with glazing bars. Schoolhouse, 2-window west front,
adjoins rear of Nos 39 and 40 each with a ground and first floor window. Doorway of
schoolhouse, under left-hand window, is within circa late C19 glazed porch with
segmental arched lights and entablature. Double doors.
Schoolroom 3-window south front has buttresses between windows and wider left-hand
window all late C19 small paned casements. Where first floor of original schoolroom
used to be linked to wing at right (east) end, there is slatehanging over studwork.
Interiors not inspected.
In 1910 there was accommodation for 107 infants and 165 others.
Sources for historical information: School file (PRO) ed. 21 (2363) and CRO.
This is a picturesque group with much C19 detail and particularly notable for its
Listing NGR: SW8048736194
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings