This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0225 / 52°1'21"N
Longitude: -0.7891 / 0°47'20"W
OS Eastings: 483183
OS Northings: 236701
OS Grid: SP831367
Mapcode National: GBR D0F.59P
Mapcode Global: VHDT6.8FPD
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 17 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160730
English Heritage Legacy ID: 45898
Location: Shenley Church End, Milton Keynes, MK5
County: Milton Keynes
Civil Parish: Shenley Church End
Built-Up Area: Milton Keynes
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Watling Valley, Milton Keynes
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 83 NW SHENLEY CHURCH END SHENLEY ROAD
3/112 Church of St. Mary
Parish Church. W. wall and outer walls of transept C12, chancel
and S. arcade late C12, N. arcade, S. side of clerestory and aisles
C14; tower C15, S. porch Cl7. Restored 1888-90. Coursed rubble
limestone, cruciform plan with battlemented parapets to lead roofs of
nave, tower and chancel, plain parapets to aisles and porch, tiles to
transepts. The chancel has side lancets deeply recessed with roll
mould on inner arch, slender shafts with plain caps supporting toothed
chevroned outer arch. On the exterior these windows have shafts
supporting moulded arches with strings at cap and cill level. The
altar rails are C17-18. The crossing under the central tower is
probably C14. The N. transept has a Perpendicular window and a C17
altar table. The nave arcades have 3 principal and one smaller bay,
the S. arcade with round piers and plain caps and hoods with toothed
moulding. The clerestory has three windows on each side. The timber
roof is C15 restored. The large W. window of the nave is Perpendicular.
The font is octangular and there is a panel with the Royal Arms of
Geo. III. The church was restored in 1888-90. A monument to Edmund
Ashfyld, 1577, has a sarcophagus in a recess, three Corinthian columns
on plinths with shafts, one of jasper, two of porphyry, supporting
entablature and broken pediment with central coat of arms. In the N.
aisle is the monument of Thomas Stafford, 1607, of Tattenhoe, the
founder of the Almshouses, a recumbent effigy on a base with central
figure of his wife flanked by children, all carved in relief. Behind
is an inscription panel flanked by side panels supporting cornise with
side scrolls and coat of arms over. There are C18 monuments to members
of the Stafford family and to former rectors.
RCHM II p.255 MON.1.
Listing NGR: SP8318136702
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings