This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0233 / 52°1'24"N
Longitude: -0.7118 / 0°42'42"W
OS Eastings: 488485
OS Northings: 236885
OS Grid: SP884368
Mapcode National: GBR D0K.0VY
Mapcode Global: VHDT7.MD1R
Entry Name: St Michael's Church of the Open University
Listing Date: 17 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160855
English Heritage Legacy ID: 45906
Location: Walton, Milton Keynes, MK7
County: Milton Keynes
Civil Parish: Walton
Built-Up Area: Milton Keynes
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Walton, Milton Keynes
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 83 NE WALTON GROVEWAY
4/120 St. Michael's Church of The
Former parish church, now the University church and recital room.
Mainly C14, with slightly later S. porch, early C16 nave roof.
Restored 1861. Rubble limestone with some greensand stone. The tower
has two stages with greensand-stone quoins, diagonal buttresses and
battlemented parapet. The nave parapet is over a string with corbel
heads and nave and chancel are buttressed between bays. All windows have
good and varied curvilinear tracery. In the chancel are restored sedilia
and a priest's door on the S. wall. The nave has 4 bays, a piscina at the
E. end of the S. wall and a tall plain tower arch. To the north of the
chancel arch is a staircase to the rood-loft. The C14 octagonal font
has been restored. Hatchments hang in the nave. Monuments: On N. wall
of chancel a wall monument to Bartholomew Beale, d.1660, and Katherine
Beale, d. 1667. An inscription panel with two niches over divided by a
plain pilaster. Each niche has a scroll head and base and an engaged bust
he to LH, and she to RH. This part is flanked by black Corinthian columns
with white caps and bases supporting entablature with black marble
frieze, broken segmental pediment and central cartouche of arms.
Below the inscription panel is a moulding carried forward under columns
which are supported on carved scroll brackets with angels' heads. This
monument was erected by their sons, Charles and Henry in 1672. Charles
was the husband of Mary Beale, the painter, who died in 1697 and was a
pupil of Lely. Adjoining is a small incised brass with rhymed
inscription to Elizabeth Pyxe, 1617. On the S. wall is a late C18-
early C19 monument to members of the Pinfold family. On S. wall of nave.
Sir Thomas Pinfold, Knt., L.L.D. Kings Advocate, Chancellor of Peterborough, etc.,
d.1701, by Nollekens. An inscription panel on flat brackets with central
cartouche of arms between and a tall black pyramidal top with white
portrait medallion and ribbons over a trophy of books and rolls.
RCHM II p.307. MON.1.
Listing NGR: SP8848536885
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings