History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn and Horse Engine House at Approximately 100 Metres West of Kennal Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Stithians, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1911 / 50°11'27"N

Longitude: -5.1622 / 5°9'44"W

OS Eastings: 174381

OS Northings: 37124

OS Grid: SW743371

Mapcode National: GBR Z7.G33R

Mapcode Global: FRA 082J.2PV

Entry Name: Barn and Horse Engine House at Approximately 100 Metres West of Kennal Farmhouse

Listing Date: 17 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162044

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66243

Location: Stithians, Cornwall, TR3

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Stithians

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Stithians

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Stithians

Listing Text

SW 73 NW STITHIANS KENNAL VALE

2/257 Barn and horse-engine house at
- approximately 100 metres west of
Kennal Farmhouse.

GV II


Barn and horse-engine house. Circa mid C19. Granite rubble with granite dressings.
Grouted scantle slate hipped roofs. Cast-iron ogee gutters.
Plan: L-shaped plan barn with short arm of the L projecting at right angles in front
of the right-hand side and a canted horse-engine house projecting behind the middle
of the long arm of the L. Right-hand part of barn is built into a bank on the right.
There are 2 pairs of opposing loading/winnowing doorways in the longer part of the
barn, a flight of stone steps behind the right-hand doorways and another flight of
stone steps behind the far right-hand side to give access to another loading doorway.
The ground floor has waggon sheds under the threshing floors and there are stables or
loose boxes and possibly originally a shippon in the right-hand part. First floor is
a granary and fodder store. Horse-engine house has opposing doorways at the sides
and slit windows in the sides of the canted end.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Unaltered elevations with original door and window openings.
Many of the openings have their original ledged doors and there are barred windows
with internal shutters. There is one 15-pane 2-light casement. Symmetrical 4 window
east front has 5 doorways to the ground floor including wide waggon doorway with
loading doorways over, towards left and right. Left-hand waggon doorway is partly
blocked.
Interior: Not inspected, except for horse-engine house which has no machinery but
original roof structure and beams for carrying former machinery.


Listing NGR: SW7438137124

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.