This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1902 / 50°11'24"N
Longitude: -5.1595 / 5°9'34"W
OS Eastings: 174570
OS Northings: 37021
OS Grid: SW745370
Mapcode National: GBR Z7.G3TZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 082J.9RB
Plus Code: 9C2P5RRR+35
Entry Name: Kennal Vale Mill and Former Miller's House
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162060
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66245
Location: Stithians, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Stithians
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Stithians
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 NW
Kennal Vale Mill and former miller's house
Mill and miller's house. Parts of mill and house are probably C18, extended in the C19 and C20. Granite rubble with granite dressings. House is rendered and parts of mill are slurried or painted. Grouted scantle and dry Delabole roofs to taller mill buildings, except for some asbestos slate to left-hand cross gable, and to lower range adjoining the road, otherwise replaced with corrugated asbestos and there is corrugated iron or asbestos over the C20 additions. All roofs have gable ends.
Plan: Large irregular plan with long rectangular two-storey and three-storey mill range at the rear with two adjoining wings projecting in front of the right-hand side of the three- storey part and at the far right a formerly detached mill, now linked by C20 structure, gable end on to the front. Adjoining at an obtuse angle to the middle of the front of the left-hand mill is a lower probably store. Adjoining in front of the three storey mill is a former two room plan miller house with central lobby or cross passage. At its left-hand end is an external rubble stack and there is a C20 extension on its right. There is a wheel pit behind the left-hand side of the mill and possibly there is some machinery. An intact leat runs parallel to the rear of the mill and probably fed overshot wheels.
Exterior: Two storeys and three storeys. South east fronts. Mill has two storey front on the left and three-storey front with two adjoining gable-ended wings projecting from the middle and right-hand side of the front. At far right is the gable end of a two-storey mill. There are some old windows including (towards left) an 18-pane sash with nine-pane fixed light over. Millhouse has symmetrical two window front with central doorway. Possibly early C19 12-pane casements to first floor, later sashes below. Ledged door.
Interior not inspected but possibly there is some machinery.
Listing NGR: SW7457037021
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings