History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kennal Vale House, including adjoining garden walls, gate piers and gates

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stithians, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1909 / 50°11'27"N

Longitude: -5.1587 / 5°9'31"W

OS Eastings: 174630

OS Northings: 37099

OS Grid: SW746370

Mapcode National: GBR Z7.G40J

Mapcode Global: FRA 082J.425

Plus Code: 9C2P5RRR+9G

Entry Name: Kennal Vale House, including adjoining garden walls, gate piers and gates

Listing Date: 17 June 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162099

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66248

Location: Stithians, Cornwall, TR3

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Stithians

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Stithians

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in
Stithians

Description


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28 September 2021 to reformat text to current standards

SW 73 NW
2/262

STITHIANS
KENNAL VALE
Kennal Vale House, including adjoining garden walls, gate-piers and gates

GV
II*

Small country house adjoining including garden walls and gate-piers. Circa 1830. Stuccoed walls. Slurried scantle slate roof hipped around square lead flat and behind parapets to garden fronts and entrance front. Stuccoed brick chimneys, one chimney over rear wall of each rear room. Rear wings have low pitched roofs corrugated. iron..

Plan: Double depth plan with two fairly large reception rooms at the principal garden front (deeper principal parlour on the left). Kitchen behind the left-hand room; entrance hall behind right-hand room leading to central rear stair hall and study, behind the entrance hall. At the rear is an original and complete service courtyard flanked by two similar two-storey service wings whose doorways are linked to the house by an open lean-to cloister. The service wings are built into a high bank at the rear and both wings have first floor loading doorways. At the rear of the courtyard is a high retaining wall with a central gateway to a flight of stone steps down to the courtyard and under the steps is an integral dog kennel. The plan and function of all the rooms of the house is unaltered since built.

Exterior: two storeys. Virtually complete elevations with original stuccoed features, with high plinth, mid-floor band with Vitruvian scroll, moulded parapet cornice and plain parapet; originally doors and windows. Symmetrical 1:1:1-bay south-east garden front with bowed bays at left and right. Central bay has arched niche to each floor. Nearly symmetrical three window north-east entrance front has doorway slightly right of middle. Original six-panel door later glazed to top four panels and original distyle Tuscan porch. Windows are hornless sashes with thin glazing bars. Elliptically arched stair window with traceried head.

Interior has most of its original features including mahogany panelled doors; moulded architraves with lion's heads in the corner blocks; open well stair with mahogany handrail scrolled over the newel; marble chimney-pieces in the front reception rooms; fine plasterwork with trailing bands and a cross vault over the junction between the axial and cross passage. Service rooms are also unaltered and were fuel stores and pantries to the ground floor and probably apple stores or servants quarters above.

Parallel to the rear of the house is a high rubble retaining wall with square-edged granite copings. There is a narrow gateway at the rear of the courtyard, a wide gateway at far right and a small gateway towards the left. The gate-piers are integral with the walls and rise as square chamfered heads above the walls. Small gateways have their original wrought-iron gates with roundels to the lock rails, arched top rails, ball and steeple finials over lock rails and arrow -head finials over the top rails. At the left-hand end of the garden the wall returns at right angles to the front.

Kennal Vale House is one of the most interesting and complete early C19 houses in this part of Cornwall. The rear courtyard with its cloister and service wing is particularly interesting.

Listing NGR: SW7463037099

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.