This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1799 / 52°10'47"N
Longitude: -0.0354 / 0°2'7"W
OS Eastings: 534422
OS Northings: 255336
OS Grid: TL344553
Mapcode National: GBR K64.9VY
Mapcode Global: VHGMR.BGMQ
Entry Name: Moat House
Listing Date: 22 November 1967
Last Amended: 18 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163070
English Heritage Legacy ID: 52158
Location: Kingston, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23
Civil Parish: Kingston
Built-Up Area: Kingston
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Kingston All Saints and St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 3455 KINGSTON CHURCH LANE
22.11.67 (formerly listed
Manor house. C.1500. Open hall and crosswing. Floor and stack inserted
C17. A bay at the east end was replaced in C19. Timber framed, now
roughcast rendered and tiled. The West crosswing has a half hip at the South
end. Ridge stack inserted 4.11.1664, but the four grouped shafts have been
rebuilt (c.1984), and the original dated bricks have been removed. Plan of
open-hall with crosswing at west end. Internal evidence indicates that the
hall extended by one bay to the east, probably for the service bay. Hall of
two storeys. Two C19 casements-at first floor and one at ground floor.
Modern door and doorway probably on site of original entry to cross-passage.
Crosswing also two storeys with one, three light window to each storey.
Interior: Open hall of two bays. Quartered ceiling with stop chamfered main
beam. Wide arch braces to tie beam of display truss over open-hall. Jowled
posts. Roof of clasped side purlin construction with paired wind bracing.
The purlin is jointed at the collars. One of these joints occurs at the east
end indicating that there was another bay. There is no evidence of smoke-
blackening in the roof, suggesting that the open hall had a chimney
originally and that this was replaced and a floor inserted in 1664. The
crosswing, probably a parlour wing, has an ogee chamfered main beam and
heavy, hollow moulded joists (some modern). The roof is of similar wind
braced side purlin type. On a moated site.
R.C.H.M.: West Cambs. Mon. (4)
V.C.H.: Cambs. Vo. (p,l14-lls)
Listing NGR: TL3442255336
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings