History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints and St Andrew

A Grade I Listed Building in Kingston, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1807 / 52°10'50"N

Longitude: -0.0326 / 0°1'57"W

OS Eastings: 534613

OS Northings: 255430

OS Grid: TL346554

Mapcode National: GBR K64.BKW

Mapcode Global: VHGMR.DG43

Entry Name: Church of All Saints and St Andrew

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127592

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52157

Location: Kingston, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Kingston

Built-Up Area: Kingston

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Kingston All Saints and St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

In the entry for

Church of All Saints
and St Andrew

The grade shall be amended to read


Church of All Saints
and St Andrew




Church of All
22.11.67 Saints and
St Andrew


Parish church. The church was substantially rebuilt in 1488 following a fire
and the materials of C13 church reset or incorporated, particularly in the
chancel. C13 chancel, C15 nave and north and south aisle, C13 west tower
restored. Restored 1894 - and 1930. Fieldstone andclunch rubble with
limestone and clunch dressings. Tiled roofs. West tower, nave and north and
south aisles, south porch and chancel. West tower C13 rebuilt in 1488.
Three stages, embattled parapet and chamfered plinth, central beast gargoyles
to main cornice. West window, of three cinquefoil lights in two centred
arch, flanked by two niches, the one on the south having a vaulted canopy,
but both restored. Restored belfry openings. Half octagonal newel
stairturret on north side. Nave. 1488. Rendered walls and tiled roof with
gable of earlier roof visible internally in east wall of tower. Clerestorey
of four restored windows each of two cinquefoil lights. South aisle and
south porch are also restored. The south door is medieval and of nail
studded planks. The chancel, C13, has rendered walls. In the North wall is
a blocked lancet window and a doorway now blocked to a vestry or chantry. In
the South wall there is a C13 window of three lights with Y tracery,
restored, and a low side window of two trefoil lights. The chamfered two
centred arch in the South wall is also C13. In C16 the East window was
removed and replaced by one of four lights each in segmental arch with square
head. The North aisle retains some C15 fenestration, except for the window
at the east end which is modern. Interior: North and South nave of clunch.
Four bays, two centred arches of two wave moulded orders , the outer
continuous, the inner on attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases.
Nave and aisle roofs are late medieval, though that over the south aisle
incorporates later work. The chancel arch is also 1488. The chancel is C13
with some features of late periods. The rear arch of the original C13 east
window is visible internally. The three light window in the south wall may
be reset. There is a-recess with foiled head in the splay of,the rear arch.
Another small recess at the east end of the north wall is C14. The chamfered
rear arch of another window in the south wall is C13. There are benched
recesses in both north and south walls, and the arches of those on the south
side have been partly displaced by later fenestration. Font: octagonal
bowl, C13, with C14 octagonal stem having attached shafts, with moulded
capitals rising to crocketed gables. Wall monument in south wall of
chancel. Dr. Fogge Newton. Provost of Kings and Rector of Newton, 1612.
Clunch. Tablet with inscription flanked by Corinthian columns supporting
entablature and strapwork overpiece. Paintin s: much of the interior wall
surface except in the tower retains painting of the C13-C16 or early C17,
some restored by E.W. Tristram in 1928. Screen: late 015, restored. In
three bays with closed lower panels and vertical tracery in upper, open

R.C.H.M.: West Cambs. Mon. (1)
V.C.H. Cambs. Vol. V
Pevsner: Buildings of England p.417

Listing NGR: TL3461355430

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.