This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1807 / 52°10'50"N
Longitude: -0.0319 / 0°1'54"W
OS Eastings: 534658
OS Northings: 255433
OS Grid: TL346554
Mapcode National: GBR K64.BQ8
Mapcode Global: VHGMR.DGH3
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 22 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163215
English Heritage Legacy ID: 52173
Location: Kingston, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Kingston
Built-Up Area: Kingston
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Kingston All Saints and St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 3455 KINGSTON RECTORY LANE
The Old Rectory
House, formerly rectory. C12-C13 aisled hall with early mid C14 west
crosswing. Alterations of the late C16 or early C17. Timber framed, clunch
rubble and dressed clunch. Tiled roofs. T-plan. Aisled hall timber framed
with stone outer walls. Tiled roof with C16-C17 brick ridge stack. The
gable of the original aisle roof can be seen in the east wall of the
crosswing. Two bays and half a bay. Two storeys. The south arcade is now
incorporated in a later south wall. Fenestration of C19 includes three
slidiny sashes with small panes. The north wall of the aisle was rebuilt in
C17 reusing some of the clunch rubble. The west crosswing is of clunch
rubble, dressed clunch, fieldstones. Timber frame to the south end dating
from a reduction in the length of the crosswing and rebuilding of end wall.
Tiled roofs and projecting side stacks of clunch rubble with rebuilt upper
courses in C16-C17 brick. This west wall retains four original window
openings, partly rebuilt and altered except for one at south end which has a
single light in a two centred arch of two chamfered orders with trefoiled
head. The garderobe and newel staircase, now part rebuilt are at the north
end of the crosswing. Interior: Part of the timber framing of two original
trusses of the aisled hall remain. These include the capitals of two arcade
posts, moulded tie beams and bracing and principal rafters with notches for
raking struts. The roof was of crown-post or king-post type. The roof is
blackened generally. In the crosswing there is part of a doorway in two
centred arch leadiny from the north aisle to the staircase. This newel
staircase of clunch has been partly rebuilt and has a reset medieval window
of two cusped lights divided by a transom. The roof of the crosswing is post
medieval except for a truss immediately north of the chimney. The tie beam
is steeply cambered and has an octagonal crown post with moulded capital,
base stops and four way bracing. Those to the collar purlin have been
removed. Red paint is also visible on some of thesemtimbers. The late C16
hearth in the aisled hall is of clunch with depressed four centred arch.
There are C17 ovolo moulded mullion in two ground floor windows in the south
wall of the crosswing. The house was probably conveyed to Kings College,
Cambridge in 1457. The alterations of C17 may well have been made by Rev.
Fogge Newton (d.1612) Provost of Kings and Rector of Kingston.
R.C.H.M.: West Cambs. Mon. (3)
V.C.H. Cambs. Vol. 5
Listing NGR: TL3461055323
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings