This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8899 / 53°53'23"N
Longitude: -2.4143 / 2°24'51"W
OS Eastings: 372866
OS Northings: 443822
OS Grid: SD728438
Mapcode National: GBR CRLG.3B
Mapcode Global: WH969.WHH9
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 16 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163679
English Heritage Legacy ID: 183300
Location: Waddington, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7
Civil Parish: Waddington
Built-Up Area: Waddington
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Waddington St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 09/05/2018
SD 74 SW
Church of St. Helen
(Formerly listed as Church of St. Helen, WADDINGTON)
Church, c.1500 with nave and chancel rebuilt 1894. Squared sandstone with stone slate roof. Comprises a west tower, nave with clerestory, lower chancel, north and south aisles with short transepts, and a south porch.
The three-stage tower has angle buttresses, an embattled parapet with string course, gargoyles and corner pinnacles, and bell openings with pointed heads and hoods and two cusped lights with panel tracery above. The west wall has a window of three cusped lights with panel tracery. The west door is deeply chamfered with pointed head and hood. The north-west buttress has a worn carved crucifux and arms of the Tempest family. The aisle and clerestory windows have flat heads and cusped lights. The east window is of five cusped lights under a Tudor-arched head and hood. The east and west windows of the south aisle are probably C16 and are of three lights, the inner light have a segmental head and the outer lights being pointed. The aisles have battlements. The inner porch door is reconstructed, with a cavetto moulding and two-centred head.
Interior; the five-bay arcade has pointed arches of two chamfered orders on octagonal piers. Above the tall pointed tower arch can be seen the roof line of an earlier church. Above the inner arch of the west door are re-set nine carved heads, some worn. The north wall of the chancel has a chamfered doorway with segmental head. On the south side is a C17 wall monument to Christopher Wilkinson.
Open timber roofs, the nave roof having bolted king posts rising through arch braced collars. The wind braces have carved decoration. The early C16 octagonal sandstone font has a base with decorative motifs and a bowl with shields carved with the instruments of the Passion.
Listing NGR: SD7286643822
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings