This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7738 / 50°46'25"N
Longitude: -3.5225 / 3°31'20"W
OS Eastings: 292744
OS Northings: 98237
OS Grid: SX927982
Mapcode National: GBR P1.5N5M
Mapcode Global: FRA 37H1.KHR
Entry Name: The Parish Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 30 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163855
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86080
Location: Brampford Speke, East Devon, Devon, EX5
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Brampford Speke
Built-Up Area: Brampford Speke
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Brampford Speke
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 99 NW
3/20 The Parish Church of St Peter
Parish church. C15 west tower, the remainder, 1852-3 by Butcher, consisting of
nave, north aisle, south porch, south transept, north-east organ chamber and
vestry. Ashlar. Impressive west tower, slender proportions, 2 stages. Diagonal
buttresses with 3 offsets plus C17 corner obelisks serving as pinnacles. North-
west half-octagonal stair turret. Heavy base moulding which forms the hood mould
of west door. Doorway with concave moulded jambs. 4-light Perpendicular west
window. 2-light square-headed belfry openings, with shallow-chamfered lights.
Small north window, hood formed by string course. The 1852 church is a fine,
balanced composition. Exterior: all windows decorated. South-front: wide
transept with 3-light south window above a lean-to lit by small punched sextafoil
(marking an internal recess). 1 flush 2-light window to nave, 2 to chancel with
hood-moulds. 3-light east window with large sextafoil in head. Strong double set-
off buttresses; vestry east front with bold asymmetrical fenestration. North side
with flush 2-light windows. Interior: mediaeval work: tower arch responds with
wave moulding. C16 tower ceiling. Cusped, original tomb recess in south transept,
with 4 heads facing downwards, of good quality. The font, possibly C15, recut,
octagonal with traceried panels, wanting its plinth. 1852 rebuild: 3-bay north
arcade, Decorated octagonal piers. Double-chamfered chancel arch with moulded
capitals. Good roofs : arch-brace and collars to chancel and nave, scissor-braces
to south transept. Minton tiling in chancel. Contemporary wooden commandment
board: now in tower. Large, assertive, wooden pulpit. Monuments: of historical
interest (see below) wall monument to Rev. G C Gorham, d. 1865, by Hale of London
(south transept, east wall); mural monument to J Sheppard, 1865 by Stephens of
Exeter (south transept, west wall). Glass: good heraldic glass in south transept,
south window and north aisle. West and 2 north window, dated 1852. Historic
interest: in 1847 the Bishop of Exeter, suspecting the Rev. G C Gorham's orthodoxy
on baptismal regeneration, refused to institute him to Brampford Speke. Gorham
appealed to the Privy Council and won. The Gorham Judgement forced many (including
Wilberforce and Manning) to secede to Rome.
Source: Devon C19 Churches Project.
Listing NGR: SX9274698237
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings