This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0749 / 54°4'29"N
Longitude: -2.7029 / 2°42'10"W
OS Eastings: 354104
OS Northings: 464562
OS Grid: SD541645
Mapcode National: GBR 9PKB.M0
Mapcode Global: WH842.GT4Y
Entry Name: Brookhouse Old Hall
Listing Date: 4 October 1967
Last Amended: 7 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163954
English Heritage Legacy ID: 182095
Location: Caton-with-Littledale, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2
Civil Parish: Caton-with-Littledale
Built-Up Area: Caton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Caton with Littledale
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
CATON-WITH-LITTLEDALE BROOKHOUSE ROAD
SD 56 SW
4.10.1967 Brookhouse Old Hall
(Formerly listed as
House, 1713. Slobbered rubble with slate roof. 2-cell plan, with 3rd cell
added at left. 3 storeys. Original part has rebated and chamfered mullioned
windows. To the left is a one-light fire window, and one of 2 lights. To the
right is one of 3 lights with lowered sill. On the 1st floor are 2 of 3
lights. The attic storey has 4 sashed windows with glazing bars and rebated
and chamfered surrounds. The door, to the left of the right-hand window, has
a chamfered surround with battlemented lintel inscribed: '1713 TID'. The
left-hand cell has a modern window with plain reveals on the ground floor.
Above, at an intermediate level, are 2 sashed windows with glazing bars and
plain stone surrounds. The left-hand (south) gable wall has 2 modern 1st
floor windows with glazing bars and plain stone surrounds. Above are blank
lunettes with plain stone surrounds. Outshut to part of rear. Interior has
chamfered axial beams on ground floor. At their southern end they are tenoned
into a large beam in the correct position to be a firehood bressumer.
However, the moulded shouldered fireplace is set into the wall and appears to
be original. To its left is a spice cupboard door inscribed: 'EHM 1727'. On
the 1st floor is partitioning of raised and fielded panels in oak. The stair
has lost its balusters, except for a row of splat balusters on the landing of
the attic storey.
Listing NGR: SD5410464562
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings