History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block, About 250 Yards South East of Wimpole Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wimpole, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1406 / 52°8'26"N

Longitude: -0.0467 / 0°2'48"W

OS Eastings: 533770

OS Northings: 250942

OS Grid: TL337509

Mapcode National: GBR K6J.M24

Mapcode Global: VHGMY.4GPC

Entry Name: Stable Block, About 250 Yards South East of Wimpole Hall

Listing Date: 3 September 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164273

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52801

Location: Wimpole, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Wimpole

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Wimpole St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Arrington

Listing Text

WIMPOLE
TL 3350

16/137
Stable block, about
250 yards
south east of
Wimpole Hall

GV II*

Stable block. Designed circa 1841 by H E Kendall and built 1852. Red brick
and stone dressings. Low pitch hipped roofs of slate obscured by blocked
parapet. Triple ridge stacks with linked capping. Four ranges round a
courtyard with principal range on west side. Two storeys. The west front is
divided into nine unequal bays. The centre and end bays are wider and the
centre bay and two flanking bays project. The bays are divided by rusticated
pilasters which are paired to the end bays, and have stone rustication to the
centre bays. The entablature of the pilasters forms the roof parapet which is
surmounted by ball finials and the heraldic emblems of the Yorke family
flanking the clock turret. The parapet is carried over the end bays of each
side as a segmental pediment. The coach doorway is panelled as are the two
flanking pedestrial doorways. Round headed coach entry flanked by rusticated
pilasters supporting Doric entablature with pediment and surmounted by an
elaborate clock turret and cupola with bell shaped copper roof. The clock
turret has paired Corinthian pilasters to the corners and the cupola is
enriched with console brackets. Inside the turret is barrel vaulted and the
courtyard is paved with granite setts. There is a cast iron lean-to shelter.
The North front originally adjoined the garden and outbuildings of the old
Rectory (now Yorke and Marshall's Cottages). Reminscent of the style of
English Baroque masters of the Office of Works School, especially Thomas
Archer.

R.C.H.M. West Cambs. Mon. (2)
Natural Trust: Wimpole Hall


Listing NGR: TL3377050942

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.