History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Pancras

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pancrasweek, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8268 / 50°49'36"N

Longitude: -4.4197 / 4°25'10"W

OS Eastings: 229683

OS Northings: 105821

OS Grid: SS296058

Mapcode National: GBR K7.XB5P

Mapcode Global: FRA 16MX.9Z6

Entry Name: Church of St Pancras

Listing Date: 14 February 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164477

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91956

Location: Pancrasweek, Torridge, Devon, EX22

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Pancrasweek

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Pyworthy with Pancrasweek

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Pancrasweek

Listing Text

SS20NE PANCARSVEEK CP VILLAGE CENTRE

9/50
Church of St Pancras
14.2.58

GV
II*

Anglican parish church. Chancel C13 in part, church rebuilt and enlarged C15, restored
1894-8 and largely reroofed, some restoration c1927. Squared and coursed local stone,
granite dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. Undivided chancel and nave, north transept
now vestry, 5-bay south aisle and porch, west tower. Crenellated 3-stage tower with
crocketed pinnacles, 2-light trefoil-headed louvred bell-openings, square-headed opening
on second stage south face, stairlight openings in north-east corner, uncusped 3-light
west window, round-headed west door with continuous haadmould'and moulded plinth. South
aisle unlit west gable end, four uncusped 3-light windows, gabled porch with depressed
Tudor-arch head between first and second bays left, slate floor laid chequerboard
pattern, enriched ribs to ceiled barrel vault roof, depressed Tudor arch head doorway,
C19 door; priest's door with segmental head between first and second bays right; east
end of aisle 4-light cinquefoil-headed window, similar 3-light East window, rood stair
projection at junction with north transept, 3-light square-headed mullioned window on
east face of transept, similar hollow-chamfered window under hoodmould west gable end;
North front of nave small square-headed north door probably rebuilt. Interior rendered,
C19 stencilled fleur-de-lys and oak leaf decoration on chancel walls, renewed C20;
exposed squared and coursed masonry in tower. To chancel arch, tower arch tall and
narrow, chamfered in 2 orders and dying into imposts with unmoulded jambs; 5-bay arcade
with 4-centred arches and clustered capitals, similar arch with diferent capitals to
north transept. Depressed segmental head to hagioscope between north transept and
chancel, door to roodloft opens into exterior wall but the stairs have gone, square-
headed roodloft door remains above. Jambs of blocked opening visible in north wall of
chancel, opening filled to make way for hagioscope and roodscreen. Square-headed aumbry
recess in north chancel wall. Hoodmould with faces as stops to rere arch of East
window. Chancel roof ceiled barrel vault with enriched ribs and angels projecting from
wallplate, similar without angels to south aisle, moulded ribs to nave roof. Octagonal
Norman font. Pulpit incorporating early C17 panels with sunflowers and guilloche bands.
Other fittings c1900 including choir stalls with handsomely carved finials, lectern,
altar rails, panelling to chancel, altar table and Perpendicular-style screens between
chancel and south aisle, and between nave and vestry. Remains of early C16 bench ends
preserved. C15 stained glass incorporated into East window: inscription states that
"the C15 glass incorporated in this window erected in 1927 formed part of a window at
Muchelney Abbey, Somerset, whence it was removed in about the year 1860". Silver
processional cross, possibly C16 Spanish, presented in 1927 by the Wickett family. C18
slate tomb slabs with good lettering in nave, C17 slabs in vestry. The living was a
chapelry of Bradworthy and by the end of the C19 was in a very poor state of repair.
(Photograph in NMR; Holsworthy Deanery Magazine 22.10.1900; Stabb, Some Old Devon
Churches, Vol 3, 1913)


Listing NGR: SS2968305821

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.