History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Chapel, School, Gatepiers, Railings and Walls Returned Around Graveyard to East

A Grade II Listed Building in Pancrasweek, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8405 / 50°50'25"N

Longitude: -4.416 / 4°24'57"W

OS Eastings: 229993

OS Northings: 107330

OS Grid: SS299073

Mapcode National: GBR K7.WC48

Mapcode Global: FRA 16MW.CFB

Entry Name: Methodist Chapel, School, Gatepiers, Railings and Walls Returned Around Graveyard to East

Listing Date: 14 February 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326660

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91955

Location: Pancrasweek, Torridge, Devon, EX22

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Pancrasweek

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Pyworthy with Pancrasweek

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Pancrasweek

Listing Text

SS30NW PANCRASWEEK CP LANA

9/49 Methodist Chapel, School,
10/49 gatepiers, railings and walls
returned around graveyard to
East

14.2.58

Wesleyan chapel with Sunday school adjoining. Chapel dated 1838, double doors renewed
c1900, school probably 1840s or contemporary with chapel, minor extensions at rear
c1878 and again in 1903, porch dated 1894. Random rubble local stone, brick relieving
arches on main elevation to chapel, roughcast south front, schoolroom facade partially
roughcast, pyramid slate roof to chapel, steeply pitched hipped slate roof to school.
Plan: schoolroom facing south onto road, one room addition to north, a second to north-
west, chapel abutting to east, entered on east front from graveyard, gatepiers adjoining
south-east corner of chapel, wall on south and east sides of graveyard. Chapel: 2
storeys, 3 bays, first floor small round-headed 12-pane fixed light windows with thick
glazing bars, ground floor unlit, central semicircular hooded porch with moulded
entablature and keystone, residual capitals carried on wooden columns (said originally
to have been painted to resemble marble), double doors with decorative hinges, square
slate tablet on first floor between first and second bays left inscribed with incised
lettering 'Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1838'. Right return: 2 bays, full-height, round-
headed 7 x 5 pane windows with pivoted heads, similar on left return but with fixed
lights. Interior: rendered. Flat plastered ceiling with moulded cornice, ceiling rose,
late C20 light fittings, moulded surround to blind roundheaded niche at minister's end,
keystone, capitals inscribed AD/1838 with rubble plinths, similar moulded rere arches to
windows with rubble keystones and consoles, all picked out in gold. Stick stairs in re-
entrant angles of facade wall giving access to gallery carried on circular wooden piers,
raised and fielded panelled front with pilasters on console bracket plinths, panelled
dado. Matchboarded dado to minister's end, otherwise plank and muntin dados; late C19
box pews; trefoil-headed low wooden screen to east end with simlar panelling to
minister's desk approached by short flight of stairs right. School: set back slightly, 2
storeys, 3 bays, first floor round headed 12-pane fixed light windows with renewed
glazing bars, ground floor left round headed 5 x 5 pane window, lower half pivoted,
small semicircular-headed window to right of porch with square hatch just above ground
floor level; central round headed doorway, fanlight with 2 verticlal glazing bars, double plank
doors, approached by flight of 2 steps. Interior not seen. Railings: C19, cast and
wrought iron, L-plan enclosing pathway from chapel porch to entrance gateway, about 10m
in length. Gatepiers: mid C19, random rubble, square with ball finials obscured by
vegetation at time of survey (December 1987). Walls: mid C19,random rubble local stone,
brick quoins, flat coping obscured by vegetation. There was a day school here between
1878 and 1946. The churchyard was extended in 1920. One of the best surviving examples
of the numerous Methodist chapels that once flourishd in this area. (T.Shaw, Methodism
in Lana, 1955)


Listing NGR: SS3000007327

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.