History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thorne Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Holsworthy Hamlets, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8273 / 50°49'38"N

Longitude: -4.4031 / 4°24'10"W

OS Eastings: 230854

OS Northings: 105841

OS Grid: SS308058

Mapcode National: GBR K8.X8D2

Mapcode Global: FRA 16NX.BFH

Plus Code: 9C2QRHGW+WQ

Entry Name: Thorne Farmhouse

Listing Date: 14 February 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317832

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91947

Location: Holsworthy Hamlets, Torridge, Devon, EX22

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Holsworthy Hamlets

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Pyworthy with Pancrasweek

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Pancrasweek

Description

SS30NW HOLSWORTHY HAMLETS CP

10/42 Thorne Farmhouse

14.2.58
II

Manor chapel, now farmhouse. C14 chapel enlarged subsequently as dwelling, reroofed,
largely refenestrated and extended late C20. Render over rubble, shallow pitch slate
roof, brick stacks gable ends of main block. Plan: east end of chapel and entrance, west
end probably rebuilt, south wing added, and north-west and south-west lean-to additions.
North front: 2 storeys, 4 bays, all windows late C20 reconstituted stone Tudor-style
except for end bay left which has full-height pointed arch 2-light cinquefoil-headed
window, mullion renewed; to right noulded pointed arch doorway with hoodmould, 2-light
window above with 3- and 2-lights to right on both floors; 2 storey, one bay lean-to
addition lit on re-entrant angle only with 2-light windows end bay right. East gable
end unlit but remains of part of window said to have been found in wall during
restoration: no longer visible. South front: the only window opening of interest is full-
height pointed arched 2-light window without cusping, chamfered rere arch. Interior: late
20, north-east window is cut internally by floor, large open fireplace in the south wing
gable end. Roof trusses said to have been replaced in C20. It is not clear whether the
west end of the chapel survives within the farmhouse or not. The chapel was probably
used as a farmbuilding during the C18 and C19 when most of its features were
presumably lost. The manor house was destroyed by fire in the mid C19 and the chapel
then became a dwelling. It was licenced in 1377, 1381 and 1400. (Leeson Day, Holsworthy, The Devonshire Association Parochial Histories, 1934)


Listing NGR: SS3102305780

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.