This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3225 / 50°19'20"N
Longitude: -3.5994 / 3°35'57"W
OS Eastings: 286238
OS Northings: 48174
OS Grid: SX862481
Mapcode National: GBR QR.M4XF
Mapcode Global: FRA 38B5.ZGP
Entry Name: Sanders
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Last Amended: 25 March 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164623
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99945
Location: Stoke Fleming, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Stoke Fleming
Built-Up Area: Stoke Fleming
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Stoke Fleming St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
STOKE FLEMING OLD ROAD
SX84NE STOKE FLEMING
House. Said to have been built in 1760 for the Teage family, but appears to
have been substantially remodelled and extended in the early C19, extended
again in 1840. Rendered stone rubble. Bitumen coated slate 2-span roof
with gabled ends and stone coping to parapets. Rendered end stacks with
louvred white clay pots.
Plan and development: Double depth plan of 2 front rooms with bay windows
and a verandah on the south front; the main entrance on the left hand side
to an axial passage behind the front rooms leading to a large stair well to
the rear right. There is a 2-storey outshut behind the rear left hand room
and a service wing to the rear right both of which are circa early C19
additions, and a 3-storey tower on the right hand side added in 1840. The
original late C18 house probably had a central front entrance and the
existing arrangement is the result of an early C19 remodelling. In the C20
the partitions between the 2 front rooms and between the axial passage and
the rear left hand room have been removed.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay front with parapet and pineapples
over the rusticated corners. To the left and right 2 wide 2-storey bows
with early C19 tripartite 8:12:8 pane) sashes the centre light of the ground
floor right hand bow has a lower cill and is a garden door) and central
first floor early C19 12-pane sash. C19 verandah with quatrefoil-section
posts and lean-to metal sheet roof with shaped valance and ogee section
gutters at the eaves with lion mask joints.
The right hand entrance side has asymmetrical fenestration of circa late C19
12-pane sashes (one is earlier C19) and doorway to the right of centre with
a C20 porch with a tented copper clad roof. The rear elevation: 2 storey
outshut with higher parapet to west side and various C19 sashes. To the
left 2-storey service wing jettied on the first floor with C19 sashes and
external stone stairs at the gable end to first floor doorway. The right
hand east side: large 3-storey tower with battlements and large C19 2-
storey sashes on each floor without glazing bars, those on the east side
have hoodmoulds and the ground floor here is of 3 lights. The other windows
the east elevation are C19 12-pane sashes.
Interior: Marble and/or slate chimneypieces. Open well open string
staircase with stick balusters and mahogany hand rail wreathed over the
Sanders was the seat of the Teage family since it was first built in C18
Source: Sir Julian Gascoigne, the present owner. Morris's, White's and
Listing NGR: SX8623848174
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings