This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3237 / 50°19'25"N
Longitude: -3.6 / 3°35'59"W
OS Eastings: 286201
OS Northings: 48311
OS Grid: SX862483
Mapcode National: GBR QR.M4RL
Mapcode Global: FRA 38B5.RBX
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325163
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99937
Location: Stoke Fleming, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Stoke Fleming
Built-Up Area: Stoke Fleming
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Stoke Fleming St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
STOKE FLEMING CHURCH ROAD
SX84NE STOKE FLEMING
6/152 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. Probably C13, remodelled and enlarged in circa early C14,
altered in C15 and restored in 1871-2 by J.P. St. Aubyn.
The whole church is roughcast rendered except for the tower which is local
slate rubble with granite and red sandstone dressings. Slate roofs, the
nave roof is carried down over the aisles, the chancel and transept roofs
are lower, all with gabled ends and late C19 crested ridge tiles.
Plan and development: The plan of the church comprises:- nave, chancel,
Short north and south transepts, 4-bay north and south aisles, north porch,
west tower and vestry and organ chamber on north side of chancel.
The origin of the church is probably pre-Conquest since the former
dedication was to St. Petrock, but the earliest surviving fabric is probably
C13. William de Maccombe is mentioned as the rector in 1272. Creswell
suggests that the church was reconstructed in circa 1312 when the aisles
were added to the earlier C13 cruciform church partly absorbing the short
transepts. But the arcade piers appear to be C13 with rather incongruous
arches similar to the chancel arch and the transept crossing arches and
piers seem to be C15 and therefore would have been rebuilt. The tower is
probably of C13 origin. The north porch was probably built in the C17 and
the vestry and organ chamber were added either in 1861 when the first organ
was built or in 1871-2 when the church was restored, reroofed and reseated
by J.B. St. Aubyn.
Exterior: All the windows were replaced in 1971 in Bathstone except for
those in the tower and the east corridor on the south side of the south
aisle which is a 2-light window with cusped heads, the mullion having been
removed and a 4-centred arch 2-light window dated 1810 on the south side of
the chancel. The 1871 windows are all Gothic, the north side and east
windows are of 3-lights with geometric tracery. The transepts have 3-light
perpendicular style windows. The south aisle windows have straight heads
and ogee cusped lights. The priest's doorway on the south side of the
chancel is blocked. The north porch has a chamfered 2-centred arch of
dressed slate, inner doorway is C14 with a moulded 2-centred arch with a
hoodmould, the door is Cl9, the porch has a Cl9 common rafter roof.
The tall west tower has 3 stages with weathered stringcourses, is tapered
slightly and has set-back buttresses with set-offs and a moulded embattled
parapet; polygonal star turret on north side with battlements rising above
the main tower; small red sandstone window slits in the stair turret and 4-
centred arch doorway at the bottom with a Cl9 door; 2-light bell-openings
with slate louvres on all sides except the south; C15 granite 4-centred arch
west window without cusping and with hoodmould; the granite 2-centred arch
west doorway has a single roll-moulding and a label and is now blocked.
Interior: All interior walls are plastered except for west tower which has
exposed stone rubble. The tiled floors are circa 1871-2. 4-bay (plus
crossing arches) north and south arcades, the arcade bays have massive squat
grey limestone (like Purbeck marble) piers, set square, with large round
shafts on the chamfered corners and 2 fillets in between; the bases and
capitals are moulded. The double-chamfered 2-centred arches above are of
pink sandstone and rather incongruous. The fifth east bay is the transept
cross arch and has slender moulded piers with a shaft at each corner and 2
fillets and a recessed shaft between, moulded bases, Beerstone capitals
finely carved with foliage and high moulded Beerstone 2-centred arches and a
second capital above the pier capitals at the springing of the arch, the
north one more richly carved, the south east respond capital is moulded and
the north east one is carved with arms of the Carews. The chancel arch has
no capitals and above the springing it appears to have been rebuilt with an
asymmetrical 2-centred arch. The chancel has remains of a piscina and what
might be an aumbry. The tall stone rubble 2-centred tower arch has
The roofs were all replaced by St. Aubyn in 1871-2. The nave is arch braced
on corbels with wind-braces, the transepts also have arch braces and wind
bracing. The aisles have common rafter roofs with curved bracing. The
chancel roof is the most elaborate, it is arch braced with trefoils between
the queen struts and 2 tiers of wind bracing. All the benches in the nave,
aisles and chair stalls are of 1871-2 and replace box-pews and galleries at
the west end and in the south aisle. The carved polygonal pulpit of 1891 is
by Miss Violet Pinwill. The 1916 lectern is a life size figure of an angel
carved in wood and the 1984 lectern by Nigel Watson is a seagull on a rock.
1911 carved wooden Gothic altar rail and altar also 1911 has 3 carved panels
on front with palm tree columns between. Early C20 Gothic style marble
reredos with mosaic panels and marble-faced east wall of sanctuary inscribed
with the Commandments.
Norman font of pink sandstone with plain round bowl with roll moulding
below and circular stem with a moulded base, below which there is a late
base with spired corners set on a late C19 Devon limestone plinth; the lead
lining has marks for the hinge and bolt. The 1861 organ by Bryceson
Brothers of London was rebuilt in 1887 but the pipes were painted in 1874
with flowers. The clock in the north aisle is of circa early C19.
Memorials: C13 recumbent effigy under tower arch, formerly in chancel, is
probably Eleanor Mohun, wife of Sir John Carew and clad late C13 costume.
Brass at east end of nave to John Carp and a lady (probably his grand
daughter) 1361, said to be the oldest dated brass in the West Country.
Brass to Elias Newcomen, 1614, reset under south side of chancel arch. In
chancel memorial to George Goodridge 1781. There are many other C19
memorials to local families some signed by the masons.
Stained glass: Most of the window tracery was replaced in 1871-2. Late C19
east window. South east window of chancel of 1877 to Alice wife of E. St.
Aubyn rector. South west chancel window of 1866. South transept window
circa 1860 and N transept window signed by Lavers Barraud and Westlake of
London 1871. In north aisle a window to George Parker Bidder 1882, an
infant prodigy, engineer and mathematician and president of the Devonshire
Association and another of 1901. South aisle windows of 1888 signer by Cox,
Sons, Buckley London and another of 1888 and one earlier C20 window. The
other windows in the north and south aisles are of circa 1871 and the west
tower window is of early C20.
The west tower has 6 bells cast in 1777 and a clock of 1878.
Sources: Beatrix Creswell, Notes on Devon Churches, Deanery of Ipplepen,
1903. Kelly's and Whites Directories. Church Guide.
Listing NGR: SX8620148311
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings