History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Rivington, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.6252 / 53°37'30"N

Longitude: -2.5685 / 2°34'6"W

OS Eastings: 362498

OS Northings: 414442

OS Grid: SD624144

Mapcode National: GBR BVHJ.Q6

Mapcode Global: WH97L.J44Q

Plus Code: 9C5VJCGJ+3J

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 17 April 1967

Last Amended: 30 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164938

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184431

Location: Rivington, Chorley, Lancashire, BL6

County: Lancashire

Civil Parish: Rivington

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Rivington

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in


SD 61 SW
14/177 Church of the Holy Trinity
17.4.67 (Formerly listed as Rivington
- II

Parish church. Probably 1666 rebuild of early C16 chapel, altered and
restored in late C19. Irregularly coursed sandstone with large quoins,
slate roof. Nave with south porch and north vestry, chancel. Small plain
building with 3 square-headed 3-light windows on each side, the lights on
the south side round-headed and those on the north side square-headed, C19
gabled porch between the centre and western windows on the south side,
modern vestry in equivalent position on north side. West gable wall has a
wide elliptical-headed doorway, and an octagonal bellturret with square
base partly corbelled out and a conical roof with tall weathervane.
Chancel has a window of 3 round-headed lights in each side and a
segmental-headed east window of 5 lights with a transom. Interior: roof of
4 collar trusses with bracing to tie-beams and collars; oak screen with
some parts late medieval; late C16 oak octagonal pulpit on a stem, with 2
linen-fold panels in each side; on north wall a genealogical painting
copied in 1835 from a copy of 1821 of a C16 original relating to the
Pilkington family (which was damaged by fire in 1834); C18 brass chandelier
with fluted body and 2 tiers of arms. History: chapel of ease built in
late C15 rebuilt or restored by Richard Pilkington c.1540 (Pilkington
family held Rivington as tenants-in-chief of Duchy of Lancaster, built
Rivington Hall, q.v.) Reference VCH Lancs V, pp.286-293.

Listing NGR: SD6249814442

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.