This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7048 / 50°42'17"N
Longitude: -3.5589 / 3°33'32"W
OS Eastings: 290012
OS Northings: 90623
OS Grid: SX900906
Mapcode National: GBR P0.54BV
Mapcode Global: FRA 37F6.WV9
Entry Name: 2, 3 and 4, the College
Listing Date: 4 April 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165702
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85481
Location: Ide, Teignbridge, Devon, EX2
Civil Parish: Ide
Built-Up Area: Ide
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ide St Ida
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
IDE THE COLLEGE, Ide
SX 99 SW
2/64 Nos 2, 3 and 4
3 adjoining properties, probably originally 1 house. Late C15/early C16 origins,
considerably altered in the late C20. Whitewashed and rendered, probably cob on
stone rubble footings; asbestos slate roof at right end and centre of range (formerly
thatched), thatched roof at left end of range; axial stack to left of centre, front
lateral projecting stack with set-offs and tall brick shaft, right end stack.
The row of houses known as The College stands on a raised pavement above Fordland
Brook. Nos. 2,3 and 4 are at the right hand end of the College. The evidence
suggests that the 3 properties were a 3 room and through passage house, the lower end
(no. 2) to the right; the hall and passage (no. 3) in the centre; the inner room (no.
4) to the left. The core of the range is a late medieval 2-bay open hall of jointed
cruck construction, probably floored over in the C17 when the lateral stack was
added. The evolution of the lower end (no. 2) and inner room (no. 4), which has a
higher roofline, is unclear.
Picturesque asymmetrical 4 window front, the thatched roof of no. 4 swept down to the
junction with No. 2. C20 front door to the passage to the right of the lateral
stack, C20 front doors at the extreme right and left of the range. Fenestration of
2- and 3-light C20 casements with glazing bars, the ground floor window to the left
of the stack preserves an old chamfered lintel.
Interior of No. 3: The passage has exposed joists. The hall has a chamfered cross
beams (stops probably concealed behind wall plaster) and a large fireplace with
chamfered Heavitree ashlar jambs and a timber lintel with diagonal stops. 1-smoke-
blackened face-pegged jointed cruck survives, rafters and ridge replaced. Apex of
cruck not seen.
Interior of Nos. 2 and 4: not inspected.
The name suggests that the building may originally have had some ecclesiastical
2 undated photographs of the range (Circa 1910 and 1940) are reproduced in Rowland's
Rowland, B, Ide (1985) p3, 35.
Listing NGR: SX9001290623
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings